GO!

Dachshund Stories

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Rondo

Puppy Prodigy

Barked: Tue Mar 27, '07 2:14pm PST 
I was talking with a lady I met on our usual trail. She has collies now, but when her children were younger she had a dachshund. She told me a story about this little dog that made my heart swell at the courage and tenacity of our chosen breed. I thought maybe we could have a thread devoted to dachshund stories and anecdotes--they really are a special, special kind of dog smile!

Anyway, here is her story:

Their young son loved to play in the woods at Bond Park. They always brought their dachshund on their trips.

One day the boy was running ahead with the dog and a copperhead rose into full strike mode. He froze, terrified. His little dachshund friend immediately went on the defense, staying between the young boy and the snake. When it lunged towards him, the dachsie grabbed it, dragging it away. The pup got bit several times--once on the nose and twice on the neck, but he refused to let go until the snake was good and dead. He had to protect his child!

They rushed their pup to the vet, and even though copperhead venom isn't as toxic to dogs as it is to us, he was a very sick little puppy for awhile. But the bond he had with his furless brother was so strong!

The lady got teary as she told me the story, and gave Rondo a few extra pats. She said she wants to get another dachshund someday--she's had all kinds of pups, but the loyalty, love, and bravery of the little weenies was incredible to her.

So it's YOUR turn! What stories do YOU have that exemplify the dachshund breed?

Can't wait to read some dachsie stories!

Edited by author Tue Mar 27, '07 2:16pm PST

Beau Chien,- NPC, PAWS

A doxie with- moxie!

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '07 6:15am PST 
Awww, Rondo that is beautiful! Such a brave Dachshie!

Well Mom's friends used to have a Dachshie, so they told her this story.

When the man was younger, they had put up their Christmas Tree. Since this was along time ago, they didn't have fake bulbs and such, so they used pop-corn on their tree. But everytime the man's Mom would come home from work, their would be pop-corn missing from the top of the tree. The Mom would of course, blame the children for eating the pop-corn. They would deny it, but still be punished anyway. The kids even blamed the dog, but the mother came back with "The dog?? The dog can't reach the top of the tree to take the pop-corn!"

Well one day, the whole family went out to church. When they came back, they caught the Doxie eating the pop-corn off of the bottom of the tree! Apparently, when the dog ate some off the bottom, the rest would move down the fishing line, so it looked like it came from the top.

Now that's one smart Doxie!
[notify]
Rondo

Puppy Prodigy

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '07 7:24am PST 
BOL! That's a true dachshund for you--always feeding their tummies! Great story Beau!

Ellie

LONG DOGS RULE!

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '07 10:04am PST 
We love these stories.. Mom will be back later to tell about her first doxie..Gretchen!
[notify]
Shortdog

short, dark, and- handsome

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '07 1:09pm PST 
This is how Shortdog got his middle name:Houeeni.

We went out of state to visit my grampa and we took Shorty for the first time.He likes his dogs kenneled up in a crate,but Shortdog's not used to crates.So,he got in the crate and was fine.So later,we went out to eat or something and came back and Shortdog was OUT OF THE CRATE and on the sofa!!So,my grampa tightened the bars on the crate,AND put a kitchen bag tie on the bars when shorty got in it.We left again and came back and SHORTDOG WAS OUT OF THE CRATE AGAIN AND ON THE SOFA!!!!!How did he do it??So,we now call him Shortdog Houeeni.laugh out loud
[notify]
Rondo

Puppy Prodigy

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '07 8:19am PST 
BOL Shortdog! No one can contain our indomitable dachsie spirit! You showed them!

Great story!!!
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Tue May 1, '07 3:18pm PST 
what adorable stories.

I dont have any big stories like that but my Bama is very smart and sometimes stubborn. if i am on the couch or in another room and cant see him, i can yell and yell and he will ignore me so finally all i have to do is say the words- "cheese, treat, or walkie" and here he will come running.
[notify]
Johanna

Do not pity me!

Barked: Thu May 3, '07 1:35pm PST 
This is my story, written by my Daddy. Enjoy!

Johanna is such a special girl. Her story is nothing short of amazing.

Johanna is from Tennessee. In October of 2004, she was attacked by 3 teenage boys with baseball bats. She was severely injured from the attack. The nerves in her spinal column were severed, leaving her permanently disabled. She was left incontinent, just going whenever and wherever she goes. Her owner was very angry at this, so she was chained outside in the mud until April 2005.

Finally, she was rescued from this horrible life. Her feet on her back legs were left infected from being dragged through the mud for 7 months, so several of her toes had to be amputated. But her situation was about to get much better. Lauren Smith from Fryburg, Maine decided to take in Johanna, who was formerly named Boo.

Upon her arrival at the Portland airport, the local news was there to greet her. Her story was broadcast on the television news as well as on the radio and on the internet. A class of 4th graders from a school in Oklahoma learned of Johanna and her inability to walk, so they raised over $400 for the purchase of a wheelchair cart. Now, Johanna would have her freedom back!

Lauren had 10 dogs and 7 children in her household, so it made it difficult to give Johanna the attention that she needed to treat her still healing legs. So, she contacted me to ask if I would be able to take her. I agreed, and I left for Portland to get Johanna.

Now, one would think that because of her experiences Johanna would be very nervous and fearful. Well, nothing could be further from the truth. She is the happiest dog that I have ever seen. She loves all people and other dogs. She is truly inspiring. Johanna helped me to realize that dachshund rescue is what I was born to do. I was destined to give her a home, and she was destined to inspire me to help more dogs like her.

Her story was immortalized when we were interviewed by Channel 7 news in Boston in August of 2006. Her story was viewed by thousands of people. I just know that her story of survival will inspire more people to help out handicapped animals all over the country and all over the world. Johanna is one of a kind.
[notify]
prinses(love- d very much)

Rabbit chase- anyone

Barked: Sun May 13, '07 8:15pm PST 
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!Poor dog!
[notify]
prinses(love- d very much)

Rabbit chase- anyone

Barked: Sun May 13, '07 8:18pm PST 
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!Poor dog!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)