GO!

What are Rough/Smooth collies like to live with?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Jayda

Barked: Mon Jul 13, '09 2:09am PST 
Hello,
I am an owner of a labrador and sometime in the future I would like to get another dog. I have been looking into the collie breed.

I already do competition obedience with my labrador, so I would also like to do the same with a collie.

Can any rough or smooth collie owners answer my questions so I can get the best insight into owning one. I have been reading up on them. but it's good to get advice from the real people who live with them.

1) Are rough collies destructive as puppies?
2) Are rough collies easy to house train?
3) Generally are collies friendly with other dogs and people?
4) How good are they at being left alone for a small period of the day?
5) Are rough/smooth collies got the motivation to work, like a border collie has?
6) What are they gernerally like at home- always active or do they lay around etc?
7) Do they have any special requirements eg food, care etc.
8) How much to rough collies shed? how much do smooth collies shed? I know labradors shed alot.
9) Are they very vocal? do they bark alot?
10) Are they generally stuborn, carefree, hyper or laid back? Or does this depend on the dogs personality?

Any answers to any of the above questions would be greatful.
Thanks. way to go

Edited by author Mon Jul 13, '09 2:39am PST

[notify]
Cirrus

Amazing Collie- Girl Her Royal- Highness

Barked: Wed Jul 22, '09 10:26pm PST 
Keep in mind that dogs have varying degrees of energy despite the breed. Then there are the typical breed qualities. Be sure to evaluate your own energy (low, medium, high, very high), and choose a dog that matches or is lower than your energy. The dog will be much easier to handle.

My experience with Cirrus may not be typical of all collies, but here it is: Easily trained, intelligent, easy-going, happy-go-lucky, calm and submissive, drawn to people and dogs. She is a rough collie with lots of hair and must be brushed regularly to prevent matting. She has a lower prey drive than other collies I've seen herding sheep, and defnitely much less than a border collie or Australian shepherd. I believe collies are considered medium energy dogs, in general, but within that there are always exceptions.

How about getting a copy of Cesar Millan's "A Member of the Family"? There is a huge section on how to choose a dog. It also has important information on puppy development, raising the dog, and how to fulfill his/her instincual needs. Cesar also has a DVD from his Mastering Leadership series called "Your New Dog..." It also tells you what to look for when choosing a dog from a breeder, shelter, or rescue. This DVD can be ordered from cesarmillaninc.com under "products".
snoopy
[notify]
Jenna

Jenna THE- collie!

Barked: Thu Sep 3, '09 10:36pm PST 
- In no way are they aggressive or mean, but they go through a almost teething like stage. Chewing on all they can get their little teeth on.

- Collie's are super smart and catch on quickly, so yes.

- My Collie is very friendly to dogs and people but tends to seem a little snooty to other pups.

- My Collie has always been very good.

5) Are rough/smooth collies got the motivation to work, like a border collie has?
-Yes, they love to move.

6) What are they generally like at home- always active or do they lay around etc?
-My dog in her older years loves to go out but when as home she is very chill, but this has been her through out her life really.

- No not really.

8) How much to rough collies shed? how much do smooth collies shed? I know labradors shed a lot.
- My rough Collie sheds a lot after a bath, requires a lot of brushing.

9) Are they very vocal? do they bark a lot?
- Yes, my pup has a big mouth. smile But will listen if you ask to stop.

10) Are they generally stubborn, carefree, hyper or laid back? Or does this depend on the dogs personality?
- Really I believe it depends on how it's raised, my girl loves to chill but if I want to go out, she's very excited for it.. Very independent dog.
[notify]

Sunny

Handsome Mr.- Collie

Barked: Sat Oct 24, '09 8:53pm PST 
As already stated, it's going to vary by the dogs personality, upbringing, etc. But since I have smoothies, I thought it might be good to give you a rundown of my smoothies.

Not on purpose. They tend to learn very quickly what is off limits...but they ARE puppies, so a certain amount of chewing and mischief is to be expected. Make sure you provide the pup with things he should be chewing, and your life will be easier. Of course, proper supervision is required, as with any other young being.
Smoothies and rough collies learn very quickly. They are known for being very smart.
Yes. You'll find lots of admirers whenever you go out with them.
Mine do very well, but they aren't alone for very long. Between the different schedules various members of the family have, they aren't alone more than 3-4 hours on any given day.
Yes, but they don't have the super high energy level. They are bred to herd, but are also excellent at agility, wagon pulling, or just being a homebody.
6) What are they gernerally like at home- always active or do they lay around etc?
Mine tend to loll about when we're being quiet. They tend to lie down at my feet when I'm watching tv, sewing, or reading. But as soon as I get up to do something, they are right beside me raring to go! They love to go places and can get bored if you don't provide them with something to stimulate their brains.
There are some medicines collies should not have-your vet should be able to give you a list. Good quality food is important, they LOVE treats, but are very easy to care for overall.
8) How much to rough collies shed? how much do smooth collies shed? I know labradors shed alot.
Smooth collies shed twice a year or so. If you brush them frequently, it's not bad at all, but if you don't brush them for a month or so, it's going to build up and seem like a lot. We brush our smoothies one or two time a week and they are fine. Versus the rough collie we had many years ago...who needed to be brushed every day or so.
9) Are they very vocal? do they bark alot?
They are vocal. But that is something that varies greatly from one dog to another. The two smoothies I have right now trade off-the one who barks at home is silent at the dog parks or when she is on an outing. The one who is silent at home is extremely vocal at the dog parks. And our last collie was pretty quiet unless someone was coming to the door, and he'd alert us then stop.
10) Are they generally stuborn, carefree, hyper or laid back? Or does this depend on the dogs personality?
In general, collies are pretty laid back, but can be willfull at times. My current collies dislike getting their feet wet-so when it rains or snows, I know that I have to get outside with them or they will sit on the porch and not take care of business. As soon as they see that I've gotten wet, they are just fine. Go figure! smile The ones I've had before never had a problem with it. One thing all collies seem to have in common is that they are a bit aloof towards people they don't know. But once you become family, they are lovable goofs. Even the most dignified collie has a goofball buried deep inside. big grin
[notify]