GO!

Is it true?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Walter RL1- AoE CGC

I'm a rescue!

Barked: Tue Mar 10, '09 10:38pm PST 
I heard that Lassie was always played by a male because the males have nicer markings. If that is so, wouldn't that make collies the only sexually dimorphic dogs? If not, do you know why Lassie was a boy?
[notify]
Beau *in- memory*

Nahh ahh! I am- too a lap dog

Barked: Fri Mar 20, '09 4:52pm PST 
Its true lassie was always played by a male, not because of markings though. Markings in males and females are equally beautifull.
Male collies as in most long coated breeds tend to have a more profuse coat though.

The main reason was actually size, males are larger than females. They tended to use oversized or larger males to play lassie. It had to do with the boys who played his owner, a larger dog made the boy appear shorter and therefore younger.
[notify]
shelly

Barked: Fri Mar 20, '09 7:20pm PST 
yes even the curent lassie is a male. i know it should be ladie not lassie, lol
[notify]

Luke

Proud to serve

Barked: Sun Nov 8, '09 6:38pm PST 
There were two reasons that "lassie" was always male. One was the size issue...a larger dog allowed the child actor to look childlike longer. The second, and bigger issue was that males retain a nicer, fuller coat throughout the year.
[notify]
Sablee

SableeDablee(:

Barked: Sun Jan 3, '10 4:51pm PST 
Yes, another reason is because a males hair is more 'fluffier' then a females. [:
[notify]
Trocair (- *in loving- memory* )

Where's Timmy?!

Barked: Wed Feb 17, '10 1:09pm PST 
I've always heard those reasons for Lassie being male as well... makes sense from a Hollywood stand point I suppose. wink
[notify]