GO!

Smooth vs. Rough Collies

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
BrandyApple

I am THE- Princess!

Barked: Tue Oct 7, '08 9:01am PST 
smile what about owning two? Do male vs female make a difference? Just trying to do the homework before we aquire. We own Cairn Terriers at this point, three to be a matter of fact. It would be just wonderful to have a dog that when you called them they came!!!laugh out loud
Mom to the three little "Terrors"
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Tue Oct 7, '08 9:56pm PST 
I've always read that it's a bad idea to shave dogs down in the summer. The fur acts as a built-in air conditioning to a point.
[notify]
Cash

BARK!!!

Barked: Thu Oct 9, '08 7:55am PST 
I've owned (and on occasion bred) rough and smooth collies for the past 14yrs. I currently have a 4 wk old smooth litter out of my champion bitch - CH Spiritwind Barely An Angel. They are a great breed! Though I currently have both varieties, I personally prefer smooths these days. Temperament wise roughs and smooths are the same, for the most part. They can and often do come from the same litter, so they are the same breed, the only difference is coat.

Shelties and Collies are two completely different breeds. While shelties look similar to rough collies, they are VERY different, especially in temperament. I am current helping professional handlers who show collies and shelties, so along with my own collies, I am also around other peoples collies and lots and lots of shelties on a daily basis.. I'd take a Collie over a sheltie any day! Their temperament just doesn't work for me!...
[notify]

Tatum Tot- Spice

I'm a smooth- collie girl!

Barked: Tue Oct 21, '08 3:50pm PST 
I have heard that us smooth collies are more stubborn than rough collies. The Mum here, though, has only fostered rough collies. She has four of us smoothies and she loves us best. We do shed a lot, though. The roughs shed less... but really only because they need to be brushed more often.

Us collies tend to me more aloof than we get credit for. We are not all really like Lassie. We are as smart, though!
[notify]
Casey

If it fits in- your mouth, chew- it up!!!!

Barked: Mon Oct 27, '08 7:05pm PST 
I have never owned a collie or a sheltie. But, my friend has a sheltie and my mom's friend had a collie. I know them both pretty well. I also own a collie mix.

Wendy was the collie. She was gorgous and very well behaved. She was a rough collie. She got lost/stolen not too long ago. I miss her a lot. They only had a few problems with her. 1. She always chased cars and people that walked by. 2. She barked when she got jelous. That is all I can think of right now.

Rosco is the sheltie. He is very cute but really hyper. He is smart too. But, when they first got him he chased the bus and got hit. He is ok now. But, he still chases cars so you gotta watch him. He plays fetch very well. He gets it, brings it back, and drops it. He barks if you don't play with him though. He is very cute and protective. If someone hurts his owner, he's after him/her! I love Rosco.

Casey is my dog. She is 25% german shepherd, 25% malamute, and 50% collie. She is seven months old now. She is Wendy's puppy. She is not that greatly behaved but that is my fault. If I worked with her more, she would be. She shows a lot of potential. I have a few problems with her. 1. She bites. It's not agression, it's playing but it still hurts. 2. She jumps on people. When she gets excited, she jumps on you!! 3. She barks if you don't do what she wants. If you tell her no, she'll talk back!! Those are the only problems I have with her. I love her!!

Well, I've wrote a book!! Hope some of this helps!!dog
[notify]
Lance

Lancer

Barked: Fri Jan 30, '09 6:34pm PST 
Hi all, I am Lance a Smooth Collie, I do shed 2 times a year.
I don't get cold easily for I have a double coat. But I am a wash and
go dog. I tend to be a very smart dog, loving, loyal, Sensitive and
Active Dog. Also might I add- a well rounded Social Dog.
I am larger than most Male Collies weighing in at 107 lbs, average is
75 pounds. So I am a big boy! I also have a Brother that lives with
Mum and I, and a small Shih Tzu.

Edited by author Fri Jan 30, '09 6:37pm PST

[notify]
Cirrus

Amazing Collie- Girl Her Royal- Highness

Barked: Sun Feb 1, '09 11:11pm PST 
We also had a sheltie, and then my husband decided he wanted a collie because the one we had was always a nervous wreck. I mean, we'd have to go find her hiding in the house somewhere if she heard a little pop, or fireworks, or the Blue Angels airshow.

The rough collie we have now could care less if you dropped your keys (she just checks it out), and loves the campfire, sleeps through the fireworks and Blue Angels every year. She is also extremely intelligent. She does require lots of exercise, but is pretty laid back and easy-going. This is just how our collie is, and I'm sure there are others that are more energetic and more protective than ours. She also does not herd well, but we've seen other collies that have stronger instincts for herding. Cirrus is good at the ducks, but not sheep, for some reason.

We don't brush Cirrus enough, but she still looks good to other people. I just tell them to imagine what she'd look like if we brushed her! We need to be consistent with the brushing.

However, shelties are really good at herding, and even if you don't intend to compete or have sheep of your own, it's fun to take them to herd dog training classes - great for the exercise and the discipline (challenges the body and the mind). We didn't know this before, and our sheltie became overweight quickly.

So, I suppose if you want to go to collies, they are awesome and beautiful intelligent dogs, easy to train, smooth or not. Cirrus is very people and dog-friendly, too.blue dog
[notify]
Amber

All the world's- a playground!

Barked: Fri Apr 17, '09 8:11pm PST 
Amber is my first collie and I wouldn't hesitate to get another one! Very smart and wanting to please. Wants to be friends with everyone and strangers ask to pet her (the Lassie syndrome laugh out loud ).

I was surprised that for a long-haired dog, her fur stays surprisingly clean and fresh-smelling and after getting a bath her fur smells clean much longer than other dogs that I have had. I brush her once or twice a week, but if I miss a few times, you can't tell.

She is very polite and always lets me be pack leader. She barks back at me, but it's a game we play and I indulge her.

I think she's beautiful when she runs and plays outside -- her fur flows in the wind and she's very graceful and athletic.
Mojo

Barked: Fri Jul 3, '09 2:22am PST 
I don't think there is much difference between the two. With Mojo, he gets shaved two months before summer and then every two months till summer ends and the hair grows back for winter and autumn. He hates getting brushed, so when his hair is long, I take him to a the groomer once a month for a wash and brush and clip around his bottom and there is no shedding. Long hair collies are so much more beautiful though, but all collies are lovely so I think rather than looking at a particupar type, look at which ones you click with and are drawn to. I think that's realy important. I think the dog you are meant with, you will end up with at the end smile Goodluck!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2