GO!

Smooth vs. Rough Collies

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kipper

*hiccup/burp*

Barked: Tue Sep 16, '08 9:07pm PST 
Okay I hope someone check here once in a while. Mom officaly decided that she is going to get a Collie as her next SD. Even though it wont be for 5 years she wants to be ready with information.

She was leaning twards a smooth collie because then they wont have to worry about long hair like she does with me. Do they shead worse then long hair? Do they get cold? Is there a difernce with temperment with Smooth vs. Rough like with Dauchshunds?

She was also thinking a little bit about Rough collies because she loves the fur and how it looks but again she always has to worrie about my long fur and it getting dirty. I know short hair can get dirt just as easily but it is a little easier to clean short hair.

The reason she went to the Collie breed is because she loves shelties but needs something bigger with her next and obviously Collies are similar to Shelties. How differnt are there personalities? Any information about Collies will be helpful!way to go

Edited by author Tue Sep 16, '08 9:07pm PST

[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Thu Sep 18, '08 8:29pm PST 
Hi Barkely!
This_link should help:

Edited by author Thu Sep 18, '08 8:30pm PST

[notify]
Kipper

*hiccup/burp*

Barked: Sun Sep 28, '08 12:20am PST 
Thanks Gray!! That was informational!way to go
[notify]

Cirrus

Amazing Collie- Girl Her Royal- Highness

Barked: Sun Sep 28, '08 10:50pm PST 
Here is what I know from my own experience, but every dog is different, even within breeds, of course:

We had a sheltie for a long time, and she was always a nervous wreck, every little noise and movement seemed to get her jumpy. We would have to look for her all over the house when she was hiding, and would find her under the bed, or in a closet! Hard to take her camping, too, because the popping noises from the fire made her want to flee.

Now we have a female collie. She is one of those happy-go-lucky easy going dogs. She doesn't bark excessively, and loves people and dogs. The only problem is that when people start petting her, sometimes, she walks on by. I wanted her to be a therapy dog because of her calming nature, but her walking away from someone petting her might hurt someone's feelings. I have to tell her to stay when I want my mom to pet her.

But those are just the way our dogs have been. I am inclined to say, however, that shelties may have a higher energy level and require more vigorous exercise than a collie. Maybe not. One thing's for sure - they are both intelligent dogs!blue dog
[notify]
Kipper

*hiccup/burp*

Barked: Mon Sep 29, '08 9:39pm PST 
laugh out loudI definatly consider Barkley to be extremly high energy! That is a good thing though when it comes to having a Service Dog! Once I ditected his energy into working he was wonderful at it. Sometimes I have to let him run before working because he gets a little anxious and wants to play sometimes but he is a wonderful working dog!way to gobig grin
[notify]
Niles

Barked: Wed Oct 1, '08 9:59pm PST 
Hi, I rasied Collies for about 20 years. The temperments are the same for the smooth and rough coated. I perfer the rough for is beauty but somethimes I do shave them down for the summer. By winter it is back. So if you can't decide you always have that option!
[notify]
Kipper

*hiccup/burp*

Barked: Thu Oct 2, '08 12:04am PST 
I thought that shaving collies or shelties would ruin there coat in how it grows.shrug
[notify]
Niles

Barked: Thu Oct 2, '08 7:14pm PST 
My dogs coats are just beautiful. You just have to make sure that when the hair starts growing back out you brush it alot. If you don't the under coat will continue to grow and get matted. Daily grooming is mandatory at this time but it is easy with shorter hair.
[notify]
Beau *in- memory*

Nahh ahh! I am- too a lap dog

Barked: Sun Oct 5, '08 10:41pm PST 
Smooth and rough collies should have the same temperments, they are just coat variations within the breed. Some people think that the smooths have more of a 'farm dog' personality, more energetic. The smooths I have met where much like my rough collie in temperment and many breeders breed roughs and smooths together anyways (its kind of wierd, half the pups have full rough coats and the other half smooth in the same litter.) So I dont think the difference in temperment is substantiated

As for coat care. The rough is actually super easy. All they require is a brushing twice a week, no trimming (except between pads of feet, optional sanitary clipping) is required. Their coat is a fairly harsh one and does not attract a whole lot of dirt, any that is there is easily brucshed off. Both coat types shed the same amount, one just has shorter hairs. They are both double coated and 'blow' their coat 2-3 times a year, durring which time you will find tumble weeds of fur in your house, special care needs to be taken to strip the undercoat at this time. Its really not that hard., and needs to be done on rough and smooths.

I find there to be a large difference between collies and shelties. Collies are not as vocal, have slightly higher exercise requirements and can be a bit more protective. They are similar in that they are whip smart, loyal, and loving.
[notify]
lacey

smoothie

Barked: Mon Oct 6, '08 3:07pm PST 
I am a smooth collie owner (my second one). The reason I prefer the smooth over the rough is --less grooming. Other than that the smooth and rough are exactly the same. It's just a different look.
Many people are misinformed about the Sheltie. They think that it's a miniature collie. It's not. A sheltie might look like a small collie but they are a different breed.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2