GO!

Help!! We have a war on fleas!

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lola

Puppy Lovin

Barked: Thu Jul 11, '13 11:02pm PST 
Hello we just got a puppy and brought her home on the 6th. We have two cats that are treated and were starting to have a flea problem now that the puppy is here they are everywhere!!!! We have put Borax all throughout the house twice now, washed all the animals twice now with Dawn dish soap, treated both cats with flea meds and got Revolution from our vet and put it on the puppy. She still has so many fleas on her which we comb off her at least 4-5 times a day! I don't know what else to do this is crazy!!! The vets office did tell us this was the worst year for fleas in the area but I need them to go away lol TIA for any help! hail

Edited by author Thu Jul 11, '13 11:04pm PST

[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Jul 12, '13 7:49am PST 
Aside from treating the pets and using borax do you:

1) Vacuum all furniture and carpeting daily and thoroughly?
2) Treat the yard with a product that kills fleas?
3) Wash all of the pet bedding regularly (at least weekly)?

Putting pieces of a flea collar in your vacuum bag may help kill the fleas you vacuum up. Fleas hide everywhere so it is important to vacuum things like the insides of the sofa with a crevice tool and to vacuum pillows, mattresses, and other upholstered items and stuffed toys that can not be washed. washing everything that can possibly be washed is also helpful and if you treat the pets and the house but not the yard, as fast as you get rid of them your pets and even the people in the house will bring them back in on their coats and clothing. We used Ortho Max once in the spring and again in the fall last year, then again this spring and we haven't had an issue with fleas. We also use Advantix II on our pups but I know it isn't safe around cats. Advantage which works only on fleas is available for both dogs and cats but the choice of what type of flea control to use is between you and your vet. Knee- hi's filled with cedar chips and placed in the sofa, under the mattresses, and in dog bedding can also help control fleas. It may take several weeks to get them under control even with these steps but it is certainly worth it. Good Luck and I hope this helps, I know it did for us the last time we had a major flea outbreak, thankfully it has been years because of the steps we take to prevent them. wishes
[notify]
Lola

Puppy Lovin

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 5:50pm PST 
happy dance thank you so much!! hail I will try that and we live in an apartment on the second story so we really don't have a yard to treat...confused
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 7:55pm PST 
You're very welcome. Fleas seem bad everywhere this year. I'm just thankful I don't have to deal with them. It's too bad you can't treat the outside areas too but being vigilant about vacuuming and taking the other steps should help a lot. The worst outbreak we ever had gave me 120 bites on my legs alone in less than a week. There was no preventative for on the pets then and it was pure misery. We vacuumed, flea powdered furniture and rugs, washed everything in sight including curtains and table cloths, vacuumed in under and through everything like the bottoms of drawers and any place that even dust could collect. Also, just rinsing the pets with plain water will get fleas off without drying their skin and making them itch from that. I don't envy you the task ahead of you but hopefully you will get the problem under control before you and your pets are eaten alive. Also keep an eye on the puppy they are very vulnerable to the blood loss caused by the fleas and a severe infestation can be deadly in some cases. Again,wishes and Good Luck!!
[notify]
Darcy

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 1:19am PST 
As long as you treat your pets, you should be fine. If the pets are treated, the fleas will have no reason to stay. They can’t feed off carpet!
[notify]
Lola

Puppy Lovin

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 7:05am PST 
The vet gave us revoluion and thats not working
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 6:02am PST 
I honestly have had the best success with the Advantage line of products. You can ask your vet about them or they are often available at pet stores and even Wal-Mart.

Darcy- fleas will lay eggs in places other than on the dog. They also hide in grass and things like that waiting for a host. We treated all of the things we did the way we did because that was the advice given to us BY OUR VET due to having a dog seriously allergic to fleas, we had to do everything we could to keep her from being bitten and these were the steps we were advised to take. While they do need a host for blood to reproduce they can hibernate in other places for quite some time.
[notify]
Dottie

Loads of fun!

Barked: Thu Jul 25, '13 8:14am PST 
Same issue going on in our home....still battling!
[notify]
Dottie

Loads of fun!

Barked: Wed Aug 7, '13 8:16pm PST 
We are trying Capstar and a second bombing of the house...seems to be working and still vacuuming a lot! But the fleas are dwindling!
[notify]
Piglet

I'm a princess

Barked: Mon Oct 14, '13 1:25pm PST 
My little girl is allergic to fleas along with mites, ticks and who knows what other bugs. Some of this may sound nuts but it's worked. All of the dogs are on comfortis. I bath her once a week in a mixture of dawn, oatmeal bath and Skin so soft. Vacuum often. for a couple of weeks all of the dog bedding was put in the dryer on high every day and washed once a week. I keep spray bottles with vinegar, water, lemon juice and spray everywhere about once a week. (that keeps other bugs away too) I also have a spray attachment that goes on my hose and I spray my yard down with dawn every week. BTW I also have a spray bottle of vinegar, water and skin so soft I spray on us and the dogs when the mosquitoes are bad which in Florida is all the time.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2