GO!

Any ideas for deck?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 6:27pm PST 
My back deck is a mess. I stained it last fall, but the dog traffic from the three 4-leggers has really beat the heck out of the surface.
The stain is all scratched up. It doesn't look very soaked in to me.

I did the front porch at the same time, no dog traffic, looks great.

Since I am recently divorced and looking to sell the house in an upscale neighborhood, I have to sell with a nice looking deck.
Any advice or tips for a cash poor girl with some DIY skills?
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 10:18pm PST 
I suggest you just leave it as is for now and once you have your first open house on the calendar, power wash the deck a week or two before, let it dry a day or two and then stain. That way it's super fresh looking for everyone walking through.

Power washing is your cheapest, easiest way to clean the deck. Sanding a deck fresh is super time consuming, labor intensive and not necessary a lot of the time.

Did you put on a clear oil stain on the deck or a solid or semi solid stain?
[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 12:23pm PST 
Sadly, I had the deck done 16 years ago in a dark color, semi-transparent. It's a deep redish-brown, the tan wood is showing all over.
The scratches are more than a few in the traffic lane.
The steps show the worst where the dogs take off running after squirrels and such.

Anyone try Rust-Oleum Restore for wood and concrete?
[notify]

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Wed Jun 26, '13 5:31pm PST 
I wouldn't put the Rust-oleum product on the deck. Because of the thickness of the product, it most likely won't lay down evenly and you'll have big roller marks in it. I think it won't look like a nicely stained deck.
(I guess I should say that I'm a painting contractor and 90% of my work is getting houses spruced up for market).
And there will be clumps of it in between the boards and it's just too much product for decks. (Unless you clean out the space between each board as you go).

Since you already have a semi-transparent stain on there, a semi-solid stain may work (if you can power wash off a lot of what on there). But your best bet is just a solid color decking stain.

It won't fill in big gouges in the wood the way the rustoleum will, but frankly, the gouges won't be all that noticeable to people walking through.
And you'll still get some of the texture of the wood to show through, which the Rustoleum will negate.
[notify]
Bronson

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 7:11pm PST 
We just put the new rust-oleum product on our deck and absolutely love it. There are no roller brush marks and as it getting between the boards that was no big deal and it didn't happen very often. I would highly suggest it as it lasts 10 years and really makes your deck look like new again.
[notify]