GO!

A vacuum that works please!

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 12:44am PST 
Hello!

So Mom needs help finding a vacuum cleaner that will clean our carpet in our apartment. She had a Bissel Lift Off Floors and More pet vacuum but that thing just frustrated her. while it was light and could move around easily the filter on it sucked. Since my fur which isn't even that long and mom's hair which is really long would clog it after it ran for less then a few minutes. She also was annoyed with how little the bagless chamber could hold and it's poor suction. It couldn't even pick up scraps of paper.

So if anyone could recommend a decent light vaccum. We live in a 500 sq ft apartment which is half carpet and half tile. and isn't too expensive. We live on a college budget. Whatever that means.

Thanks.

Mr. Beagle snoopy
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 8:19am PST 
The Dyson Animal is what I bought and it is awesome. But, I didn't buy it brand new because the thought of spending $400 for a new vacuum was not appealing so I went to Overstock.com and found a refurbished one for $240.
It was so worth the money. It also cleans my SUV better than any other vacuum.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 10:43am PST 
+1 on the Dyson Animal. I have that one too and it works on all my floors and furniture - I have tile, wood, and carpet. The only minus to it is I really do not like bagless vacuum cleaners as I have a dust allergy and so I have to get my husband to empty out the thing outside for me because even if it has the push-button-to-empty thing and I wrap the entire cannister in a plastic bag and dump it... when I open the bag to take out the cannister, my allergies go haywire.
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 4:21pm PST 
Something I found useful no matter the vacum brand is getting it at Sears with a service warranty. When we had a border collie fond of chomping cords and fur backing up the suction they cleaned it out and replaced the cord each time no charge. It was like $10 dollars for a year at the time and as many repairs as you needed free. I've since taught myself how to clean and detach just about any hose that's accessible-couple screwdrivers and it's not hard.
[notify]
Rusty

Champion PPH

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 6:24pm PST 
I have an older Dyson & just love it! The hose is a bit of a pain, but it picks up hair, sand, and is quieter than most. With a dog, you learn how to unplug any oriface in it! (Ehow was a lifesaver....)

Another well rated one is the Bissel. I understand it doesn't get hair wrapped around the beater bar so much.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 6:55pm PST 
Thanks guys. I'm looking into digging up an older dyson model now $300-400 is out of my reach at the moment but hopefully i'll be able to find a nice one soon. Thanks for the recommendations.
[notify]
Sascha

Sascha - rather chase,- than eat

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 7:48pm PST 
I have invested in the dyson pet vacuum, but, actually find the Shark Lift-off does the job as well. I am a fairly small person and the weight of the dyson is sometimes too much. The shark is much lighter and just as easy to manuver. Sascha is approaching her yearly "shed" and I can only "look forward to those special vacuuming moments" laugh out loud
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 7:05am PST 
Re: the Dyson... what about the filters? Any trouble cleaning them? I read that they last the lifetime of the vacuum... am I understanding this correctly?
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 11:28am PST 
I use a Sears shop vacuum. ALL the brushes from my old vacs fit, even the special beater brushes for rugs. The shop vac can be completely washed, including the filters, and has more suction than any "regular" vacuum I have ever used. With lots of dogs there is always a time when I am vacuuming up something wet or worse and the shop vac has no issues at all, yet still does an incredible job on my carpet! It is also extremely lightweight.
And, did I mention cost??? Approximately $65 for the canister sized one (4 gal.)
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Sat Mar 2, '13 7:15pm PST 
thank you for all your responses. I ended up taking home a Shark Navigator that i managed to get a good price on. I'm amazingly happy with it. it actually picks up dog hair and poweder and gravel (cat litter) though we don't have a cat i did cat sit for my mom and the litter has been here since the cat went home last month.

So i'm now a happy camper! Thanks again. happy dancesnoopy
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2