GO!

Swiffer Wet - not safe for dogs?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

  
(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3
 
 
Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 1:15pm PST 
To prevent the dogs from ingesting it, I don't let them on the floor at all while cleaning - who does that anyway(the dogs would just mess it up right away again, bol)? That said, I've used the Swiffer Wetjet for YEARS without any issues from any of my dogs at all(I've had minimum seven dogs in the same household as me in those years of using it). But I always lock the dogs out of the kitchen(the only place other than the bathroom that I use it) and I always open all the windows and doors to let it air out the smell and dry before the dogs can return to the kitchen again. I DO NOT allow them in there while mopping, nor do I allow them in there before it's completely dry and aired out(it usually dries within a few minutes, but I leave it to air out for minimum hour before letting them back in). I've never had any problems from it.
[notify]
Zeus

Zeus - King of the Dogs
 
 
Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 1:23pm PST 
This is a huge old wives tale. Read the truth here.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...
 
 
Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 7:49pm PST 
Swiffer fluid is not toxic, but I would probably keep pets off it until it's dry anyway, I don't really want my pets to ingest any cleaning products (even vinegar can't taste very good!)
I also usually rinse with water or wipe with a wet cloth to get rid of any cleaning residue if it's a surface my pets might be coming into contact with, but I have cats who are ridiculously sensitive and allergic to a lot of things, so I have to be careful what I use and also rinse everything off.

Edited by author Tue Nov 20, '12 7:51pm PST

[notify]



Member Since
03/06/2013
 
 
Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 10:56am PST 
FROM ASPCA: Is Swiffer Wet Jet safe to use around dogs?

Swiffer Wet Jet products do not contain cleaning agents in large enough quantities to be a serious hazard for pets. Several years ago, an urban legend spread that it contained toxic antifreeze and killed a dog. This rumor is completely unfounded—our toxicology experts evaluated the product and determined it doesn't contain ethylene glycol from antifreeze, and is appropriate to use in homes with pets.
Like any product, however, it's important to read and follow label instructions to avoid unnecessary exposure. For Swiffer Wet Jet and other cleaning products, mild skin irritation or stomach upset may occur if pets walk through a still-wet floor or lick any spilled solution.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble
 
 
Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 11:01am PST 
Not 100% an old wives tale.

Bam, Reyna, and myself spent a month with my mom in 2010. She uses the Swiffer Wet on her linoleum. Bam likes to lay on that floor because it's nice and cool. His chin was RAW from it. I understand that yes he drools and then lays in it, but he has never had a problem with being that severely raw and gooey. I think his slobber mixed with the dried chemicals on the floor and he had a reaction.
[notify]
Lulu

1287226
 
 
Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 5:16pm PST 
Good to hear it's not true. I trust Snopes on these things.

Still, I wonder if dogs can be allergic to it. My mom used a regular floor cleaner (Fantastik or Lysol or something), and her cat had an allergic reaction. It messed up her paws. I wonder if dogs can have the same reaction to it.

Christie from Lifewithbeagle.com snoopy
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!
 
 
Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 1:08pm PST 
Cats are extremely sensitive to any product with pine oil in it and these should never be used around cats. They can be fatal if enough pine oil is left behind.
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!
 
 
Barked: Mon Mar 18, '13 9:41pm PST 
I just use vinager and water, (its a natural disinfectant) for the floors and counters.

This actually works REALLY well for cleaning things and is a commonly recommended method for cleaning rodent cages/tanks. If it can get that really strong smelling hamster urine out, I imagine it can clean a floor.

Thanks for the clarification about this being false, though, to the two peopl ewho posted the link. My sister has a Swifter and though we don't like using it, I use it occasionally to get up foot prints or paw prints or small spots. It's not that great for whole room use, though, because of the residue it leaves behind. In any case, I'd hate to think I'm putting Chloe, Ninja, and Chico in danger when I use it.
[notify]
Lulu

1287226
 
 
Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 12:59pm PST 
I don't think my mom used anything Pine scented to clean the floor, because she is allergic to it. I think she just used Fantastik.

Christie from lifewithbeagle.com snoopy
[notify]
SIR AILBE,- Service Dog

Born To Serve- The Damsel In- Distress
 
 
Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 5:32pm PST 
I have used them for 10 years and my dogs are healthy and happy. I always waited till the floor was try before letting them back into the kitchen.

Ailbe
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3