GO!

muddy feet!!!

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Wed Dec 28, '11 8:53pm PST 
We have four dogs that are all rescues.(golden mix,two yorkies,and a boxer )Our yard is on a hill so it stays pretty wet at the bottom all year which is where the dogs seem to like to run.This winter has not been nearly as cold as normal so the ground isnt freezing which normally helps with the mud.The boxer and yorkies hair is pretty short so toweling their paws off isnt too bad when they come in. My golden mix on the other hand seems to have mud sponges.She was groomed a few weeks ago so the hair on her paws is short.I towel them all off each time they come back in the house. Does anyone have any magic ideas I havent thought of to help with this?I have been thinking of trying a pair of boots for her.Salt isnt an issue where they are but thought maybe it would be easier to just take the boot off rather than wiping in between her pads each time.Does anyone have any experience using boots in this way? With any success? Recommended boot brands? Any ideas will be much appreciated.thanks in advance.
[notify]
Sara

Live life to the- fullest

Barked: Wed Dec 28, '11 9:57pm PST 
My groomer just ordered some disposable dog boots. They can be used more than once and then thrown away. Sara doesn't like things on her feet so we compromised. If her feet are beyond wiping I have a pan of water, put one foot in at a time, get the mud off, and wipe with an old towel. She's accepted it, but doesn't care for it. Since Sara is a golden mix, I've also found out she'll get mud between her paw pads which can make her feet sore if it dries, and the pan of water is good for removing that also. Like you our ground hasn't frozen yet this year, so it's much more of a problem. If your wet area isn't too big you could maybe get one of the orange plastic construction fences and temporarily block them out of that area.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 11:50am PST 
I may have to try the pan of water idea if nala will stay still long enough. I may also try the disposable boots. I just hate to make more waste for the landfill then I already do if I could avoid it. We live in WV. I just don't remember it being this warm before. Here it is Jan. and still no snow accumulation on the ground.
[notify]

Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '12 7:12pm PST 
Kali has "Mud Sponge Feet" too. I keep a bucket of water on my porch and swish their feet in it before they come in. I dry them off with a towel. It works very well. I have to change the water often because it gets muddy.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Feb 1, '12 5:00am PST 
I wish there were a magic solution. I have 2 Akitas. Mika rarely gets muddy paws because she hates wet feet. Kai on the other hand has paws the size of a bear and will even lay in the mud given half a chance. I wipe paws before they are allowed to come in and keep a damp microfiber mop handy just in case I don't wipe carefully enough or Kai decides he want's to come in and opens the door himself while I am too busy to stop him.hughughughughug You have my sympathy.
[notify]
Jasper

Whut?

Barked: Wed Feb 1, '12 7:19am PST 
We xeric-scaped our yard...all native plants, trees, shrubs, grasses, and rock. My philosophy is...here in the high mountain desert...if it can't make it on its own...it doesn't belong...but mainly cuz I want to spend my time with my dogs, friends, and family...not working on my yard.

No more mud here applause It used to be a problem before we xeric-scaped. Maybe a teared (wrong spelling) landscape design might help. Our dogs prefer the 3/4 round rock to potty on than our very small section of Buffalo grass.shrug
[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 1, '12 11:00am PST 
We do a number of things - we use the PAWZ booties (love these!), which we wipe down with a towel when our dog comes in from our very muddy yard (endless rain here in Oregon). I've also been using a dish of water to wash her paws, but I recently purchased the Paw Plunger. I haven't had to use it yet, but I've heard good things about it.
[notify]
Homer

Homer's Where- the Heart is

Barked: Wed Feb 1, '12 7:46pm PST 
I had this exact problem with Homer today. All our snow melted and everything was muddy. I of course, didn't realize this until after he had walked across the kitchen AND living room, leaving muddy Mastiff paw prints. I was able to use wet wipes to get the mud off his paws. It seemed to come off pretty easily. Hopefully this doesn't become a regular occurrence.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Feb 2, '12 6:59am PST 
Jasper,
We have plans to landscape as well. We just haven't had the money or specific idea in mind. All of our mud is coming from a low spot just to our side of our fence due to the neighbors yard being slightly higher than ours and draining down. Since the area is a normal walkway from the front gate to the back gate we have decided to go with decorative asphalt as a side walk the whole way back. We also will be adding some native plants. We are hoping for the work to be done this summer but fear it may have to wait one more year.hughughugwishes to those who also have to deal with mud.
[notify]
Jasper

Whut?

Barked: Thu Feb 2, '12 9:27am PST 
hughughughughug

We took our landscape project in stages wink The in-between stages were interesting...to say the least. Snow fence...chicken wire...mud...and in the summer here...the dirt turns to baby powder fine...that turns into a dust bowl with the wind. way to go laugh out loud
I'm sure the neighbors were worried.

My inspiration was a magazine called "High Country Gardens." I ordered the extra zeric plants which are identified in two ways.../ or x. x are the most water wise plants, shubs, trees, flowers. Love that!!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2