GO!

Tell me about beagles in the house

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Olive

Lab/Rottie/Chow/- Shepherd Mix!

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 4:23pm PST 
I had a beagle mix growing up. She was a lovely dog, very sweet - but very stubborn.

She would outright ignore me in favor of following her nose.

She also wandered - keep this one on a leash for sure.

She wasn't smelly, but my boyfriend's mom's beagle is pretty smelly. Also very loud (barks) and rambunctious in the house.

Edited by author Tue Jan 3, '12 4:25pm PST

[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 5:58pm PST 
Have never had one (in the 17+ years I've been in the breed) be hard to house train, but then again, I don't find them hard to train; most people think they are stubborn. Honestly, it is just a matter of finding what motivates them. Even then you have to keep in mind that once the nose hits the ground, the ears tend to turn off. It's the nature of the beast.

They do shed alot. Daily brushing does help. Doggy smell will depend on how much time they stay outside. I've noticed that dogs that are kept outside for long periods of time tend to reek more than those who aren't. A good deodorizing shampoo and a regular bathing schedule helps with that, but if you are getting a pup, then it shouldn't be an issue. Also, it isn't like they have a smell/reek that is any different than other breeds. A stinky dog is a stinky dog.
[notify]
Oz

Trust me...I'm a- beagle

Barked: Wed Jan 4, '12 10:13am PST 
Hounds tend to have an "odour" to them. In some it's very strong, in others it's not overly noticeable unless you're shoving your nose in their fur.

I'm not sure whether or not it's just because he's my dog...but I have found Oz to have less of a scent than most retriever breeds I have met (Labs and Goldens specifically).

Shedding can be kept to a minimum with daily use of a "hound mitt"
Hound Mitt
[notify]

Zora

Zora - Wonderdog

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 3:52pm PST 
I find Beagles to have a very strong dog odor as do all hound dogs (to me at least.)
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 10:00pm PST 
Shedding is pretty bad, but with the hound mitt it isn't too terrible (even though the hairs are stiff and 'sharp' and therefore stick to everything...)

And Lenny has the hound odor, though it isn't as strong (I'd say he's mild). Because my mom is very sensitive to smell I often wipe Lenny down (usually once a week) with puppy bath wipes since it isn't as stripping of the oils as a bath but helps removes excess dirt and oil from the coat and when coupled with the hound mitt does a really nice job of keeping things under control. It's a good compromise between not bathing him too much and keeping my mom happy. I think the most frequent Lenny gets a bath is once a month or if he's encased in mud (which has happened...and wipes won't handle that!)

Housetraining was kind of rough, but after the first two-three weeks we saw real improvement and then another week or two accidents were practically non existent.

Also if you don't like a dog with a voice... I don't know if beagles (or most of the scent hounds) are a good fit. Lenny LOVES to talk. Tell him no and he'll bark and bay mixed in with some weird growly noises. One time I left a sandwich on the counter and for 15 minutes this dog bayed at the sandwich only stopping to breathe. I couldn't tell if he was trying to remind me "HEY! HEY THE GOODS ARE RIGHT HERE" or if he was frustrated he couldn't reach it laugh out loud

Funny little dogs with great personalities. For training... just be patient and make it worth their while. Eventually they learn working with you is to their benefit and then you'll see results. With clicker training Lenny has blossomed and I love giving him and object or a problem and watching his brain work. Maybe they aren't border collies... but show them a reward and you'll see just how hard they'll work to come up with a solution.
[notify]
The Hounds- of- Bassetville- +3

Food? Where?!?

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 9:47pm PST 
I have 5 scent hounds (1 beagle mix and 4 bassets) and not one of them stinks or has "hound funk" (whatever that is). If you feed them high quality food and groom them from time to time they won't smell any worse than other breeds. Make sure those ears are clean! The majority of people I have come in contact with (in person) who complained about hound smell never cleaned their ears. Long floppy ears need to be cleaned regularly or, yes, they stink.

I can put my nose into any one of my hounds and not smell anything. Maybe mine are just unique shrug But they certainly don't stink.

Beagles do shed quite a bit, but brushing and frequent vacuuming (the house... not the dog) helps a lot.

Edited by author Wed Jan 18, '12 9:50pm PST

[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Fri Jan 20, '12 10:28pm PST 
My dog must be just stinky then laugh out loud

Lenny eats a fairly high quality kibble, gets wiped down or bathed and I do clean his ears regularly (even though he does not like it one bit lol) But he still has this strong 'doggy' odor. Just a reminder that they're all unique I guess. shrug
[notify]
Sonny

the world's- first blond,- agility Beagle

Barked: Sat Apr 7, '12 9:35pm PST 
Sonny is half Beagle on the outside, all Beagle on the inside. And hunting Beagle at that. All Beagles are not the same and there are other things to consider aside from house keeping.

Beagles don't like to be alone. You either get two, or select another breed. They are intellegent but also pushy and have what I call a unique spin on training. They are food driven and can become fat if you aren't careful. They can be noisy and are not good in apartments for that reason.

Remember Snoopy? The dance and the vulture? Bringing his dish in for a fill? I had no idea Schultz wasn't joking, those are typical Beagle behaviors.

Sonny isn't stinky all the time, but he does have the oily gland stink once in a while. My sister's neighbor has a male and female, the female is more relaxed and not smelly at all. She is also much quieter than her male.
Shedding is not bad. On a scale to German Shepherd being a 10 and a poodle being a 1 , Sonny is the lesser of the three dogs at a 4. I blame his Golden Retriever side, otherwise he might be a 2.
[notify]
Dixie

Barked: Mon Apr 9, '12 7:39am PST 
I've had 2 Beagles and I've never noticed an odor with either of them. I've heard about the "hound odor" but I guess I just got lucky with my two.

As for shedding, my first Beagle didn't shed a whole lot and neither does my current one. I do have 6 huskies though so maybe I just don't notice my Beagle's shedding. The huskies make it seem like she's a hairless dog. lol wink
[notify]
Luna (Lovegood)

Bay All Day

Barked: Wed May 30, '12 8:02pm PST 
Okay this is kind of late. But I have had my Beagle/Lab mix for two years and have never noticed a "Hound odor" he smells just like my other dogs....Like nothing lol. He does shed heavy in the spring but it's not THAT bad. I have definitely seen worse.

I recently adopted a 6 month old purebed female Beagle. No hound smell. And in under a week she is completely house trained (she wasent house trained prior to coming to me). It's been 4 days since she has had an accident. And I don't crate train shrug. So take from that what you will.

Beagles are stubborn but not untrainable. They are FUN dogs and I will always have Beagles in my home.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3