GO!

ANTS!!!

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
(Quin)- Herdabout- The Mighty- Qu

Herdabout The- Mighty Quinlan!

Barked: Mon May 9, '11 10:13am PST 
Hey everyone!

So ants...I hate them...and they wont leave me alone. It all started when Indie thought he would hide a chew under my bed and when I came home from work...I had an ant trail across the floor.

So I have ant traps (hidden from the dogs) and I heard cinnamon helps too at the entry ways...

ANy pointers since they just seem to not want to leave?!

I have made sure all chews are either being chewed or put away...
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Mon May 9, '11 11:03am PST 
Are they sugar ants? The little black ones? When we first moved into our condo we had sugar ants. I think they were coming in from the dishwasher! EW!! I put cinnamon and salt on the counters and it drove them away a bit. I read that they taste with their feet and that they don't like vinegar, so I mixed 50/50 solution of vinegar and water in a spray bottle and cleaned the counters and floors and sprayed around the windows. Now I always clean with the solution and we haven't had ants since. I also made sure not to leave out food or crumbs and to clean, clean, clean coz if they find any little crumb they will never leave. Hope that helps!

Add: The vinegar also removes their scent trails, ants leave scent trails to tell all the others ants where they are and what food they found, etc., so remove the scent trails and it should help remove the ants and keep new ones from coming in. smile

Edited by author Mon May 9, '11 11:14am PST

[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Tue May 10, '11 12:28pm PST 
BABY POWDER. I am DEAD serious. It makes them go away almost overnight if you really go to town.

The cornstarch kind will kill them, the other just makes them leave.

We had a massive explosion this winter. Counter, carpet, everywhere. Just because they're jerks. First of all, find the entry point and baby powder it so they don't come in any more. If you know where they're coming in outside do it there too. Then wherever you can afford to baby powder where they are...just do it! I pretty much made my doorway area covered in the baby powder overnight, then I vacuumed it up the next day and put a bit more down, in a less crazy more appealing fashion.

I swear, it works like a miracle. Just keep the dogs out of it. Abner didn't really mess with it too much, and it's a heck of a lot better than the poisons.

Seriously. Do it. I swear. Can't stress it enough! I put a line outside the door and we had no more ants for the winter!
[notify]

Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Thu May 26, '11 1:49am PST 
a mix of borax and diatomaceous earth around the baseboards inside and around the foundation outside. The diatomaceous earth dessicates them and the borax is poisonous to them
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu May 26, '11 7:07am PST 
If you can find where they're coming in, put Dawn dish soap on the crack. It's MAGICAL. I have had those little black ants- we call them grease ants- coming in through my bathroom window every spring. I smeared some dish soap down around the frame- no more ants!
[notify]
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Thu May 26, '11 11:11am PST 
I hear good things about Borax but have never used it. We used to get them but never in a really bad way, and would either sweep them up and throw them out or suck them up in the vacuum. Our problems with asian ladybird beetles were much worse when it came to indoor bug invasions (and my arch-nemeses, WASPS).
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu May 26, '11 4:06pm PST 
If you can find the nest, dump boiling water on it. It will kill/cook the queen, workers, and all of the eggs. Completely nontoxic. It might kill the grass a little, but it comes right back.
[notify]
Tyson

Ball?! Did- someone say- BALL?!!!!!

Barked: Wed Jun 8, '11 8:55pm PST 
Normally, I leave the ants alone. The only exception is when they start coming into my house. Then, I go for the big guns, Amdro and Ortho Home Defense. I do a light general broadcast of the entire yard with the Amdro and follow directions with the Ortho. Before I went to this extreme, I tried MANY different alternatives.
[notify]
Sam

I can get out of- anything...

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 7:05am PST 
Almost every Summer, like clockwork, I get these buggers. I live right on the floor, as in my front door touches the ground, and they waltz right in. I am really glad to see all of these suggestions for myself. Me, I didn't now how to get rid of them. All I knew is that if they are systematically circling the house, there is a queen somewhere. Or a few of them. They will usually lead you to her. If you drop a few crumbs, see where they go with them, because when they find food they brig it back to her. If they are just running around it doesn't mean they are going home it means they are looking floor food so you will get lost. But the ones that found food will go home. Best to flood that area with whatever solution that people here recommend. I used to just go to town with windex. Eventually I would drive out the queen. Without the queens they leave anyway or die. But if you kill the guys runnin around and leave the queen she will keep trying to replenish the population. The ones that run around looking for food don't breed. They are just workers.
[notify]
Allee, Bama,- and Brodie- Bear!

Roll Tide- Roll!!! ;)

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 7:24am PST 
I got some ants in the front door and right a long the baseboards I just put the dogs up and got a spray that was safe once it dried. I sprayed a long the baseboard and outside of the condo as well. Then I got some of the amdro baits and put one right outside the door and in between the front door and storm door so it was out of the dog's reach. Within two days they were gone.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2