GO!

Vinegar in dishwasher

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Abby

Barked: Mon Dec 20, '10 12:49pm PST 
I want to wash some kongs, toys, and bowls in the dishwasher. I normally don't use any soap, but just run them through the cycle without.

I was thinking it might help if I put some white vinegar in the soap dispenser part of the washing machine to help with disinfecting the items.

Is this pointless? Would it ruin my machine?
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Mon Dec 20, '10 1:16pm PST 
I don't see it ruining the machine. If anything, it will clean the linesmile I use my regular detergent, just not as much, when I do doggie stuff. I may try adding vinegar next time.
[notify]
Violet

hey good looking- ....what ya got- cookin

Barked: Mon Dec 20, '10 1:32pm PST 
vinegar will clean the dishwasher and your doogie items too you dont need to put it in the soap part just dump some in about half way thru the cycle
just a heads up tho it does make your house smell like vinager for a bit
[notify]

Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Mon Dec 20, '10 3:28pm PST 
If i throw things in the dishwater I wash them with my dishes. I just rinse in the sink first.

Generally though I use hot water and bleach. Bleach, if used properly is safe for dogs and humans contrary to what some say on here. It is suggested in use even for disinfecting drinking water if needed so I don't mind soaking kongs and bowls in it.
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Mon Dec 20, '10 3:33pm PST 
I work in food service we soak dishes in bleach often
just run it thru the rince a couple times after.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Mon Dec 20, '10 4:11pm PST 
I put white vinegar in the Jet Dry despenser. It naturally prevents water marks and makes my glasses crystal clear, so I imagine it's fine to use to wash toys with smile
[notify]
Sophie

Can I lick the- plate please?

Barked: Tue Dec 21, '10 6:58am PST 
I use white vinegar in the dishwasher all the time because we have hard water and the vinegar helps with spots. I run the dogs bowls in the dishwasher with vinegar.
[notify]
Angel

Little Angel

Barked: Tue Dec 21, '10 11:59am PST 
huh, I never heard of that trick.

So you just pour the vinegar in the part the detergent goes? (I'm a domestic dunce =/)
[notify]