GO!

Housebroken dog gone to the ........floors!

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Captain- Thumper

it's- all- mine

Barked: Sun Dec 19, '10 7:41am PST 
First let me please stress this,the two dogs that live here have been abandoned by the former owner and if I cannot find a suitable rental that accepts dogs,these two ladies are heading to the shelter....
The dog in question I am trying to keep and here lays the problem..she no longer is housebroken,the neglect has given her freedom to do what and where...I can let her out 20-30 times during the day,right before bedtime and there will be a 99% chance she will leave a gift....Enter second problem,she cowers with such fear as if she had been beaten...and I cannot vouch to this if she has not been,you see a year ago the former owner picked her off the road where they had seen her ...so her history is???...and truthfully it was not much better with the former owner either....
Saying "NO" even brings fear into her,so one cannot give her verbal discipline to her potty habits...
I really would like to keep her but this must stop if we go into a rental-switching from hardwood and tile to carpeted floors will not work with her!...
What can I do?shrug
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Sun Dec 19, '10 8:29am PST 
puppy steps
start from scratch.
kennel, tether, no disapline but major praise when she goes outside.
has she been vet checked to make sure there are no health problems?
[notify]
Sasha

Miss Diva to- you!!

Barked: Sun Dec 19, '10 9:07am PST 
Agree with Dylan. You are going to have to start from scratch with her, she was somewhere where it didn't matter where she eliminated so she doesn't know that NOW things are different. So take her out often, like every 2-3 hours, throw a BIG party when she goes where she is supposed, give treats, lots of good girls, etc. If you catch her going in the house, give a low ah-ah, and take her outside to finish, when she finishes throw her pee party again. Take her out after naps, after she's been playing, after she eats, etc.
As for the abused part, she probably was mistreated, and its going to take lots of understanding and patience on your part. Sasha was abused and mistreated and it has taken us a year to get her where she is now. Do NOT yell at her, raise your hand to her, etc. Work on your bond before anything, give her treats, train her, let her lay in bed with you. Let her know that you are there for her, that you love her, and that she can trust you. Once you get that, then things will go alot smoother big grin
Good luck.
[notify]