GO!

Snails and Slugs

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Arrgee Von- Barkee☺

Will u be my- friend?- (°◡°)

Barked: Thu Dec 16, '10 8:55pm PST 
I'm trying to find a way to control our rainy season slimy population without using deadly bait that could harm the dogs or other pets.
How do you get rid of snails and slugs in your yard without using deadly snail bait?
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Thu Dec 16, '10 11:37pm PST 
Well... I used the classic "bowl of beer" method... I sunk several deep bowls into the ground around the yard in various places, and poured gross cheap beer in them. It attracts the slugs, they fall in and drown.

Another method organic gardeners use is to set out a few planks of wood or plywood sheets- the slugs hide under them during the day, and come out at night. You turn the boards over in the day, pick up the slugs and kill them however you want, drowning, salting, etc.

To keep slugs away from particular plants, put a ring of copper tape or diatomaceous earth around them. Slugs won't cross copper or DE.

Keep in mind, whatever methods you use, there really is no way to win. laugh out loud There was one study I read where they removed 200 slugs EVERY NIGHT from a small suburban garden, and there never seemed to be any drop in the total population. They breed fast and can (slowly) migrate in from other yards.

It's a good thing you are not using traditional poison baits- as well as being toxic to pets, they actually ATTRACT SLUGS. Yes, putting out bait won't just kill the ones you have but pull in even more.
[notify]