GO!

Pooping out of school. How can I deter my dog from going where he KNOWS he shouldn't??

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 11)  
1  2  
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Tue Dec 7, '10 1:51pm PST 
I would like to add that (I just learned this at Paisley's first obedience training class on Saturday) dogs only have a 1.3 second time frame in which you can let them know that a behavior was "good" or "bad".

I've used a clicker for house breaking before and maybe you should try it?

The way a clicker works is kinda like a camera shutter. It "catches" the 1.3 second time frame in which a dogs mind works. The "click" says "YES! THATS THE BEHAVIOR I WANT!!!" No click says "That isn't exactly what I was looking for..."

So I suggest you click treat when you see your pup eliminating where you want him to. And if (only if) you catch him in the act of using your walkway as elimination grounds, make a loud noise to try and stop him in the act, then rush to his "spot" to let him finish his business there (if you can...that pretty impossible if he's pooping). Then click/treat for using the "right" spot.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 11)  
1  2