GO!

Dog Smell

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lynnette

Bigger is Better

Barked: Sun Dec 5, '10 9:14pm PST 
Does anybody know how to get rid of the dog smell in the house? When you have over 500 lbs of dog in your home, there tends to be a lot of smell. Especially when it rains and all the dogs run outside and play in the rain and mud! laugh out loud I keep the house as clean as possible, but it isn't spotless. I'm just not loving the smell of dog, and neither is my husband. He comes home from work and just gives me a nasty look, as if it is my fault. What can I use to get rid of the dog smell?
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 9:43am PST 
Cleaning regularly keeps the animal smell out of our home, especially vacuuming twice a week. I've found that even the hair on the floor has a funky odor. Additionally, many friends recommend scented candles. There are many that are marketed specifically as "pet odor eliminating" candles, but just about any will work. I'd light one up before your husband comes home to give it a fresh clean smell. For big dogs, you can put it up on a high shelf so tails won't knock it off and the smell will spread better.

Some people also use Febreze, specifically the pet ones, but I'm kinda iffy about using strong scents around the pets.
[notify]
Odin

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 4:26pm PST 
If you sprinkle baking soda on your carpet & let it sit for a while before you vacuum it helps with the smell. I lived where it rained a lot alot and like once a year I would rent a rug doctor and deep clean all the carpets and it really helped. Washing any soft things like blankets, pillows, rugs, their beds etc that you can every so often helps a lot. I use vinegar&water to mop my floors...it's great at killing the smell and don't worry once it dries it doesn't smell like vinegar anymore. I use febreeze pet odor eliminator sometimes but I'm not a huge fan of it...I probably won't buy anymore when the bottle I have runs out.
[notify]

Snickers

Momma is the- center of the- universe...

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 5:19pm PST 
I know this is way out, but having hard floors rather than carpet help a ton.

Use small washable carpets on hard floors to soften things up.

With 3 dogs I vacuum 2-3 times a week. I can't believe where the dog hair goes! I also use white vinegar to wash floors, bedding (dogs & people), throw rugs.

My dogs are not allowed on the furniture, or in the formal living room, which has wall-to-wall carpet.

I do like candles, but the wood & tile are the key ingredient!
[notify]
Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 6:21pm PST 
Feed good food. Not sure what you feed, but I feed a rotation of grain-free foods, and have absolutely zero probems with smell. They don't smell, even when wet. I bth rarely. They just don't have that normal "dog smell". It's one of those differences I've seen, I don't notice it as much until i see a dog on lower quality food, and they STINK!
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 6:25pm PST 
I dont have 500 pounds of dogeek but I agree with the hard floors, vinegar as cleaner and odor eliminator and good food. It all works for me. No doggy smell herebig grin

Edited by author Mon Dec 6, '10 6:26pm PST

[notify]
Maxwell Smart

The dog park toy- thief!

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 7:55pm PST 
I second what Quincy said. I feed prey-model raw, and people are always surprised when they come into my home as there is no dog stench whatsoever. Max doesnt smell bad, even when wet. He actually smells a bit like cedar wood, not sure why.
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 10:49pm PST 
I agree, cleaning is the best method...but no matter what there is still a doggie smell sometimes w/pet ownership.

I LOVE pet odor eliminator candles. You can find them at vet's offices or grooming shops or online. They are about 8 bucks or so and last a good while.
They really work. I use them a lot in the animal's room. We also have a snake and a lizard and in that same room is where Allee and Brodie's crates are. You can light one and within 15 min any odor is gone!

For sprays I like renuzit for pet odors as well as the new glade fabric and air. It smells very nice.

Wash any bedding or anything like that of the doggies' with white vinegar added to the wash, works like a charm!

And, lastly another fave of mine is the bath and body works wallflowers plug ins. They have the odor eliminator refills that are very nice.
[notify]
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Tue Dec 7, '10 2:02pm PST 
I like glade candles. I light one in every room before company comes over (just in case) and when I clean. I also wash ALL major bedding and blankets(including my own comforter)about every other week. I always vacuum and dust on the same day (about 3 times a week), and to top everything off after I clean the bathroom I wipe out the sink and around the toilet with pinsol, I also wipe off our fan blades with pinsol (incredible how great it makes my house smell...).

Gunner and Paisley also get a bath about every other week. Even though they don't have a strong "doggie" smell, Paisley has a tendency to get peed on and Gunner gets REALLY dirty, REALLY easy. I think dirt sticks in his coat...the water is ALWAYS black.
[notify]
Sampson

the skinny Lab!

Barked: Tue Dec 7, '10 6:49pm PST 
has anyone tried the Nature's Miracle "doggy deodorant"? You spray it right on the dog and the enzymes are supposed to take away the smell. Haven't bought any yet, but Sampson gets kinda smelly between baths, thought about trying it. Just switched to Diamond Naturals without any wheat or corn, maybe that will help with his B.O. too.

Also just ordered a Furminator, hopefully that will cut down on shed hairs all around the house... yippee! happy dance

Edited by author Tue Dec 7, '10 6:52pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2