GO!

Fur...need I say more?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 4:15am PST 
My washer/dryer fixer man refuses to work on my dryer IF I use dryer sheets... liquid softner is fine, he says but those sheets wreak havoc on EVERY part of a dryer and, he claims, are very dangerous as they can gum stuff up and lead to a fire.
[notify]
Ace

ball..what- ball??

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 6:25am PST 
Toto my neighbor used to say that about the fire.
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 3:28pm PST 
Last night I washed dog towels & blankets with vinegar and dried them with tennis balls. I must say, the dryer vent was jam-packed with hair, and not as many hair balls on the fabrics.
[notify]

Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 6:52pm PST 
As someone who is new to dryer sheets, I am not familiar with the damage they can cause to a dryer. I didn't even think about the "softener" part of it, I just threw them in for the yummy smell. Maybe I should pay attention to what I buy from now on.

So, are there any dryer sheets that would be ok? I'll go back and reread the postings if someone's mentioned what would be good.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Nov 20, '10 4:19am PST 
Apparently, according to my guy, it doesn't matter what kind they are, they all release that softening agent on everything, including the dryer and it builds up and becomes gummy, thus collecting lint, etc., which is where the fire hazard comes from. According to him, all brands are the same since the softening agent is the same. Liquid softeners are supposedly safer since they are rinsed off. I dunno, but coupled with the amount of dog hair us dog people have, it made sense to me. I do know that when I used them, the inside of my dryer was gummy and the filter was always clogged with it. Doesn't seem to be an issue with the liquid stuff.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Mon Nov 29, '10 12:42am PST 
Samson has pretty long hair, and as you can imagine...twice a year things get really bad. The only thing we've really found works is twice-a-week vaccuming on carpet (picking up what we can with our hands beforehand seems to get much of it, and loosen stuff that is really holding on tight) as well as sweeping the dining room floors.

I think with all the hair we have cleaned up inside the house (as well as brushed off outside) we must have an extra five or six "Samsons" by now.
[notify]
Lauryn

I Don't Know- What I Am!

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 6:33am PST 
Just vacuuming isn't going to be enough if you have a real shedding problem. It is always best to increase the amount of brushing during shedding season for a healthy coat. Also, a good shampoo and blow dry will get out a lot of that dead hair. I add extra virgin olive oil to Lauryn's food to control her shedding and it really works. Just double what you regularly do in shedding season. It is also a good idea to look at the quality of food you are feeding your dog. When I fed Lauryn on kibble, even the highest quality, she shed a lot more. Homecooked food has really lowered the amount of hair she sheds.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2