GO!

Overweight in Alabama! Anyone have suggestions.

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Buster- -(RIP)

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '07 7:51am PST 
I am a 3 year old Shar pei - full blooded and have started gaining weight over the past year. I am up to 83 lbs right now and my owner is very concerned. I have not been tested (yet) for any thyroid issues because my vet stated about 2 months ago that my coat looks exceptional! Any ideas, my owner received a tip that she should feed me green beans mixed with my fit and trim dogfood diet. However, I do not care for those things!! smile
[notify]
Azzura

Barked: Mon Mar 26, '07 3:50pm PST 
You need to ask your vet to do a complete T1 , T2, T3, T4 thyroid tests..It's not because the coat looks great that a dog cannot have a thyroid problem.
[notify]
Buster- -(RIP)

Barked: Tue Mar 27, '07 7:46am PST 
Thank you - that was my next step. I just assumed there would be other signs. Thanks!! smile
[notify]

mayble

mayble run like- the wind

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '07 6:17pm PST 
hi buster you look good in your photo,how much food do you eat and do you get plenty of exercise,most owners actually feed their dogs too much food ,i do it myself sometimes without even realising ,anyway hope you get sorted soon lol mayble
[notify]
Buster- -(RIP)

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '07 11:04am PST 
I have a brother (Pit mix) Cooper and Maggie (Westie) and we walk about 20-30 minutes a day atleast 5 days a week. I also have recently started eating weight maintenance dog food and my owner always mixed with canned food but changed me to "pumpkin" and she even tried green beans mixed with the dry food. I am kind of getting use to the pumpkin if she mixed some tasty chicken broth in with it. I have an appt for tomorrow with my vet and I think they will be checking my thyroid.
Thank you for your help!!
[notify]
Sasha

Sasha - Happy to be- here!

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '07 6:58pm PST 
Hi Buster,

I know this is a reply to an old message but I really wanted to mention my experience with sudden weight gain in a young Shar-Pei. This thread may help other Pei owners who chance to see it.

Our young guy was less than 2 and already 80+ pounds when he came to us as a rescue.

It turned out he had amyloidosis and a thyroid problem, both serious and potentially fatal if neglected. Repeated fevers in young dogs are also a sign of amyloidosis. Please check Shar-Pei breeders, health sites and forums for more information.

Please try to get complete blood and metabolic tests and check for amyloidosis. That sudden weight gain is not a good sign but if you treat it you can beat it!

Woof and pei hugs,
Sasha
[notify]
♥Max&- hearts;

Born to play at- the doggie park

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '07 10:20pm PST 
Hello,

What kind of food are you giving your pei. Maybe labs should be done like they said. You should also try looking into another brand food. There's a dog food that my pei loves. The website is
FlintRiver.com. You should look into their products. You could only order the food through the internet. They have alot of different kinds of dog food. Good Luck. Pei Hugs.
[notify]