GO!

Very itchy powder puff, why?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Jaden

Jaden

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '07 9:22pm PST 
I have a four month old poweder puff, and he is so itchy that he is scratching the bridge of his nose open and making it bleed. His is on the pill and drops for flees. He also has an enzyme problem and has to eat EN adn take a enzyme pill when he eats. ANy ideas on why he is so itchy and what i can do help the little guy out. I try the anit itch sprays, and the shampoo's but nothing seems to work. The vet thinks he could have a flee alergy but what else can i use to keep them off of him? I don't know if powder puffs have skin problems, I know hairless can. So any info you can share would be highly appreciated. thank you.
[notify]
Patty

Love me, adore- me,...I'm the- Princess

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '07 11:38am PST 
Some Cresteds have wheat problems. It could be an allergy to wheat in any foods you're using.. Look for a vet who works with allergies. You might need to call your local emergency vet clinic and ask them to recommend somone.
[notify]
Muraco's- Cloud Dancer

Rotten to the- core!

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '07 11:35am PST 
Sounds like a food allergy to me too...but you also have to remember about the sensitive skin of a crested. Make sure there are no wool fabrics in the bedding or clothing...Good luck!

Jessica & Muraco
[notify]

Domino- Oliver Grubb

The Wedding- Singer

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '07 12:21pm PST 
Domino used to itch all the time. We have found some things that deffinetly helped.
Science Diet "Sensitive skin formula" kibble
Human sensitive skin shampoo and conditioner (Ausie or Salon grade)
I have extremely sensitive skin myself so I tried his dog shampoo and the cat's hypo allergenic shampoo and both of them made me itch like crazy! I decided they should try mine because I had already done the research.
We ad extra virgin olive oil to his food occationly and he shares our eggs in the morning.
I always have neosporine anti itch cream for his owies.
These thing have helped a huge amount! He does get frontline too, but he has never had flees, he just itched.big grin
[notify]
Domino- Oliver Grubb

The Wedding- Singer

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '07 12:26pm PST 
Domino used to itch all the time. We have found some things that deffinetly helped.
Science Diet "Sensitive skin formula" kibble
Human sensitive skin shampoo and conditioner (Ausie or Salon grade)
I have extremely sensitive skin myself so I tried his dog shampoo and the cat's hypo allergenic shampoo and both of them made me itch like crazy! I decided they should try mine because I had already done the research.
We ad extra virgin olive oil to his food occationly and he shares our eggs in the morning.
I always have neosporine anti itch cream for his owies.
These thing have helped a huge amount! He does get frontline too, but he has never had flees, he just itched.big grin
[notify]
Mei-Ling &- Chung Tsu

Naked dogs need- clothes

Barked: Tue May 1, '07 6:20pm PST 
yes, PP can have the skin problems too!! it's sad but true. Make sure you avoid the following:
anything with red or yellow dyes, wool products near skin/coat, wheat and harsh soaps/shampoos.
Great products to try are; Pinacle duck or chicken food (wheat and corn free), restrict all treats to just chicken breast, and Seborrhea Shampoo (mine also respond well to Johnsons baby Shampoo). Hopefully you can find a solution that works best for your little one!Best of luck, Mei-Ling and Chung Tsu.
[notify]
Lucy lee - a.k.a.(loodo- o)

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 6:50am PST 
Figured I would update the post with my 2011 quick fix for a itching crested. Its a little drastic but it works. Loodoo has allergies to practically all foods, scents, and fabrics. Not to mention the instant sick dairy thing. Here's what you do. Anything that makes your house smell good (box it up and put it up) incents,popperi,plugins,sprays,that thing you set on your toilet, all of it. Detergent, (all free and clear/no perfumes no dyes) wash everything your dog touches when you get a bottle. Food ( Purina HA / perscriotion only) ohhh of course no wool, lanolin, creams or lotions until you get the itching under control. Top priority.. Then test one at a time. Air born- you should know in a max of 4 days. Touch or (fabric)-you should know in 3 weeks to a month and the same if not longer for food.
[notify]
Stella

Teacup- chupacabra

Barked: Fri Mar 25, '11 8:30pm PST 
It could be a food sensitivity, or a seasonal allergy if it's just starting up now. Poor little dude! Have you spoken to your vet about this yet?
[notify]
Wicket

Over-achiever

Barked: Fri Jul 22, '11 9:48am PST 
Any dog can have skin problems, Crested or not. I feed grain-free foods, and haven't had any problems, except for Wicket (my PP boy)itching a little, so I added some fish oil, squeezed out of the capsules, onto his food. It helped immensely and his mother and sister, both nakeds, are getting really soft skin out of the deal, as well! I agree with keeping him off wool and never use a lotion with lanolin, as Cresteds are, as a breed, allergic to it.
[notify]