GO!

bully shedding

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

harley

Barked: Wed Jul 6, '11 10:55am PST 
i know shedding is not bulldog spacic but i know its for sure a breed trait. And having one that has white on him is even worse because it shows up on anything. i brush him quite a bit and it still isnt helping much. i tried that furgo shampoo and alot came out and it kinda stopped for a day or so but now its almost as bad as it was before. any tips on helping stop him from shedding or at least removing all the loose dead hair?
[notify]
Audrey- Hepbull

I am not dumb, I- am ignoring you.

Barked: Sat Jul 9, '11 7:54am PST 
My girl sheds very little, I can even rub her hair the wrong way and fluff like crazy and maybe get one hair, if any.

She DOES shed seasonally, twice a year though.

They need good food, for Audrey that means raw. The food ideally needs a high moisture content and enough animal fat. Omega 3 fish oil supplements help a lot. A furminator used daily during shedding season helps tremendously.

I really like the Furminator deshedding shampoo, it is one of the only ones I could find that has topical omega 3's. I give her kelp during shedding season also, and a few times a week after that.

I will admit I slack on brushing her when she's not shedding. This year the fleas have been more of a challenge(I don't use chemicals on her) so she has been flea combed daily, which does also remove any loose hairs. for fleas I also use essential oils mixed in sweet almond oil and argan oil, it makes her coat glossy and so amazingly soft.

I like using my hands just as much as a brush. I just fluff like CRAZY, all over her body, to remove loose hair and then smooth it out. She LOVES it way more than brushing.
[notify]
The Urban- Hounds- (Formerly- the

Every dog must- have his day.

Barked: Sun Aug 14, '11 7:36am PST 
I see almost no hair on my bulldog-practically no shedding. However i have two pugs and a lab mix that shed a TON (particularly the lab mix) so it may be that their shedding makes the bullies less noticable
[notify]

harley

Barked: Mon Aug 15, '11 9:06am PST 
I had used furmanator shampoo and comb and it worked real well and it seemed to almost completely stop his shedding. And then all of a sudden bam its back. I even use it religiously week by week and its still bad. He eats taste of the wild which is a great food and I even gave him a omega supliment with no results. I even went as far as to see if he has allergies that could be causing it with that being a negative. So I just gave up stopping itand moved to plan b vacuming the house and furnature twice or more weekly. Next step may be taking him into the groomer next time we take our yorkie and see if there is anything they can do. Any and all tips are still welcome.
[notify]
Audrey- Hepbull

I am not dumb, I- am ignoring you.

Barked: Thu Aug 18, '11 11:34am PST 
keep up the omega 3 supplements. It is not going to be a quick fix, give it months to work.

I really like the liquid oil, my favorite is Iceland Pure because it doesn't stink. They recommend double the regular dosing amounts at first.

I also use kelp periodically throughout the year. I notice an almost immediate difference in the richness of the color of her coat when she gets it.

I use sweet almond oil mixed with argan oil and essential oils (I use cedar or cypress) for flea deterrent and that also helps any dry skin patches Audrey may have. Rub it in very well. Makes them smell fantastic too!
[notify]