GO!

A bit of a situation...

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Wed Feb 25, '09 12:12am PST 
I am honestly not sure what I am looking for here, but please hear me out and if you have advice or suggestions, I am more than willing to listen...

We lost our home due to foreclosure. We are currently living with my aunt and uncle with all our pups (minus the cat, who's staying with some other friends) while we searched for a place that would accept all 4 dogs. We have found a place through a lady I work with who is willing to accept all my pets, but the house won't be ready until May 1st. *sigh* Now the kicker. My aunt has been diagnosed with cervical cancer. In about 3-4 weeks she will have to have surgery to have the tumor removed. It is very large (grapefruit sized) but they are not sure how advanced the cancer is yet. (She had a marker test done that has confirmed cancer even though they haven't removed the tumor yet.) So, my problem is my pups are rather crazy, and Sam and Xena still jump when they get excited... Max is good, but I am very concerned about Sam and Xena. I mentioned to my aunt that we would move out before the surgery, and that at least, DH and the Boxer's would go, with the exception possibly of Max (whom she loves and is pretty gentle). She was adamant that we shouldn't go. She is certain that this is meant to be and that we are supposed to be here right now. She is also certain that Toan (DH) should not move out without me. SO. What about Sam and Xena? Toan is still certain that he should stay at a friend's house with the other 2, but I don't want to upset my aunt, either. But what if she comes home and is sitting in the living room and Sam runs in and jumps on her? I know the obvious answer is to make sure they are separated, but Sam LOVES my aunt, and the first thing he does when he gets out of his crate is go look for her. What if he runs and jumps on the bed and onto her? UGH! This sucks! I am posting here because I know you all love and understand Boxers... and how they can be... So what do you guys think? Should DH go stay with our friends with the youngest 2? I am leaning towards that, but if this does turn out to be advanced, I don't want to do anything to make her unhappy either.. Which I know she will be if she thinks she's causing Toan and I to live separately. I tried talking to her tonight, but she was adamant that we could make it work.

I geuss the best solution is to start working on some strict manners training... Really crack down on the jumping and chaos. Anypup got a good suggestion to avoid jumping? We just turn and ignore them, but it doesn't seem extremely successful since they still do it. Xena's getting better (she's 19 months) but Sam is still pretty bad (14 months).

Sorry this is so long, and thanks for letting me unload.
(Edited b/c I can't spell)

Edited by author Wed Feb 25, '09 12:15am PST

[notify]
Chewbacca

Play?! Let's- PLAY!!!

Barked: Wed Feb 25, '09 10:54am PST 
If it were me, I would talk to your Aunt and let her know that all of you would like to stay, but you are concerned about her well being during her healing process and in order for you all to remain that you will need her help in training Sam and Xena to not jump on her.

I would either make sure your Aunt completely ignores Sam and Xena until they are sitting and respecting her space or have them sit immediately upon greeting her-I found this to be very effective with my bro-in-laws Boxer/Pit mix Lucky, she jumped on EVERYONE (their own faults) but me because she knew I wouldn't acknowledge her unless she sat down.

Also, I've noticed that animals seem to sense when someone isn't feeling well, but of course you cannot count on that alone.

I hope everything works out for you and your family.hug
[notify]
Tigger

Barked: Wed Feb 25, '09 1:12pm PST 
I'm so sorry for all the hardships your family is going through. Our hearts go out to you! hug

Chewy's right, I used to jump up on everyone whenever they came to the house. Now, I don't jump up on my family anymore cuz whenever they came in the house, they'd live me a "sit" command and wouldn't pet me until I had my bottom firmly on the floor. It didn't take me long to figure it out. Now when they come home, I go to the door and sit waiting with my tail fwumping on the floor. dog

Also, it's amazing how must pups notice when things aren't quite right. When my skin sis was really sick, I just laid by her and didn't play like I normally do.

Hope this helps. Sloppy boxer kisses to you all!
[notify]

Gwydion

Boxer Gentleman

Barked: Wed Feb 25, '09 5:41pm PST 
I agree with whats been said so far. And truly just leave it to if things don't start improving on manners soon, it might be best they stayed with friends for a little while. I totally get how hard this whole thing is on you, and I really wish I could be more help. But short of heavy training and immediate success, the only other thing you can do is keep them locked totally away from her (which as you stated isnt easy)
[notify]
Boo

Eye-Catcher

Barked: Thu Feb 26, '09 11:08am PST 
My grandpa had like 4 back surgeries and both of his knees replaced this year, and when we go to visit him, I had to take Boo, because I didn't want to leave a pup with the house sitter...

Boo normally jumps and is all crazy like all boxers are, but I kept him on leash and used baby gates to keep him locked in other rooms if i wasn't able to be in there to control everything.

babygates might really help if you need to keep all the dogs in a seperate room for part of the day, and the trust ole leashes always help until they realize that they are not allowed to be so crazy, Boo always figured out that he had to stay away from grandpa's chair and couldn't jump..

I hope something works out!!
[notify]
Max

Barked: Fri Feb 27, '09 1:02pm PST 
We do use baby gates. And we've started on trying to be more strict. For the time being, we are keeping them on leash in the house except when their in our room, or we're home alone. We've also started working on training my uncle... who likes to sit down and have them climb all over him. This just lets them get away with the behavior we're trying to prevent!

One on one, my dogs usually remember their manners... but it seems like when the three are together, they just go nuts... So far treats are working well to keep them motivated. I've been using treats when my aunt comes home from work trying to teach them that if they ignore her they'll get a reward.. I appreciate your supports. The surgery is set for April 2nd, so we have a month to get them in shape.. and of course, there's plan B, which is for DH, Sam, and Xena to go stay with some friends of ours here in town..

Oh, and just FYI, if you use baby gates, then teaching your dogs the "over" command is not the best... We worked on jumps in agility, and the next thing I know the pups will jump the gates... so we still use them, but sometimes in their excitement they'll just clear it (Max and Xena, especially)

Edited by author Fri Feb 27, '09 1:05pm PST

[notify]
Layla

Classic Beauty

Barked: Fri Feb 27, '09 1:14pm PST 
hahaha I never thought about that! only one of ours knows the over command, but she only does it for treats...

I will have to keep that in mind with the pup.

I hope everything works out for you!
[notify]
♥- Apollo- ♥

Mine! Mine!- Mine!

Barked: Tue Mar 3, '09 8:10am PST 
Wow! That is a heart wrenching problem. I can truly feel for you and respect you for trying so hard to keep your family together.
I understand your aunts fear of your husband taking the dogs away from you that is very sweet of her.
I dont know if what I am going to suggest is any different then what has already been said but....
1. It sounds like you have some time, teach the dogs to sit when approaching people. It's a great habit anyway. This way they may run up to your aunt but she can give them the sit command and give them a treat and they will learn to sit and wait for a command. I taught this to my dogs a couple of weeks before I was to have a hysterectomy and it worked great.
2. If you are afraid this approach may not work or will not work when all 3 are together remember - You are the leader. If you have to keep all of them crated and only let one out at a time its better than breaking up your family. Let one out at a time. When your aunt isnt around or you have complete control (outside or on walks) then let them all out together. You may even want to keep them on a leash in the house when your aunt is present after surgery. This keeps you in complete control. It adds a lot of responsibility but its worth it.

Baby gates just dont work on a lot of dogs. My dogs would laugh at me if I put them behind a baby gate and expected them to stay when something exciting happened. I like to think my dogs are well trained but I can't completely lie to myself and dont want to endanger them so babygates are out around my house.
I use the crates a lot with the fosters and although my permanent dogs are often put in the crates so the fosters get "couch" time I still feels its better than the alternative - i think you know what I mean!!
Good luck, like I said before I respect that you have chosen to make your life harder for a short time and keep your entire family together versus dumping them into the shelter at the first opportunity and blaming it on the economy like so many others.
[notify]
Max

Barked: Sat Mar 7, '09 11:41pm PST 
Thanks for the support Apollo.. I'll admit some people think I'm nuts just for having all my kids, but we love them.. We are amazingly blessed that I have an amazing aunt and uncle and we have amazing friends.. Otherwise, I honestly don't know what would have happened... we probably just would have rented a house and lied about the quantity, to be honest! But, it's better to wait until May and have a landlord that I know who doesn't mind my pups..

So, surgery has been moved up to Thursday!! SO, DH is going to stay at our friends house with Sam and Xena after all.. We've just decided this is safer and easier for everyone... Our friends are amazing...

Just and update, we have worked on Xena not immediately seeking out my aunt... we've kept her on a leash in the house, so she's getting better at paying attention to us in the house.. But, it's still 50/50 when someone comes in the door with the jumping.. partly b/c DH and uncle are still letting them get away with jumping on them.. ugh! what is it with guys and loving the chaos?!
[notify]
Brigid

ITS ALL MINE

Barked: Sun Mar 8, '09 12:23pm PST 
Good luck to you guys! We hope to hear about your new place soon. Meanwhile, its great that you are taking care of your aunt like this. We boxers are a bouncy lot! laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2