GO!

struvite crystals/ uti

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
♥Pug- Hugs x- 3♥

3 x's the puggy- love.

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '08 3:57pm PST 
4 times since May of last year, Bandit has tested positive for struvite crystals in his urine. 2 of those they were strong enough to cause a uti. His last test at the end of Jan 2008 indicated the w/d prescription diet hadn't helped like we had hoped and the struvite crystals were up to a to numerous to count higher than ever level. This may though of been contributed to the stress of a new puppy in the house which can cause crystal formation to rise. I should also note that at the end of the 3rd urinalysis they also did xrays of the bladder and kidneys and everything there looked good, healthy, no stones.

What we are doing at the moment is trying Solid Gold's Berry Balance. I am hoping and praying this helps because I am at a loss. Does anyone have any other ideas, thoughts or suggestions for us?

Bandit has been a trooper through it all and never acted ill. But we all know long term it will have ill effects to his urinary tract system the longer it goes on.

Edited by author Thu Feb 14, '08 3:59pm PST

[notify]
Nate

he's our angel- :)

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '08 5:48pm PST 
our vet said that too much dairy (yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese...)can cause crystals. i know that certain foods are also higher in ash count which can cause crystals so just check out the ash count on the food your feeding.wishes
[notify]
Mr. B

Young Master- Bingo from- Oxford...

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '08 7:11pm PST 
We're going to keep an eye on your post! We are having surgery tomorrow for a whole mess of stones in the urethra, bladder, and even a mineralized kidney- we don't know what kind of stones they are yet...as soon as they are removed they are going in to be tested to see how to prevent them in the future. I have done tons of research in the last 2 days and there are soooo many opinions on how to treat/prevent them- there does not seem to be any proven methods, but a lot of people suggested cranberry extract to prevent stones. Its not proven, but in humans its thought to prevent e coli bacteria from adhering to the bladder walls and possibly reducing inflamation- whether it works or not, the vet told me today that it does not hurt. I open a 400 mg capsule and mix it with a treat 2x a day...in the 2 days we have been doing this, Mr. B seems to be getting a little relief. I can't prove it though, because the stones may be shifting...but as long as the Dr. says it won't hurt, it may be something to at least research? Hope this helps, its tough for male dogs especially- I have learned more than I ever thought I needed to on male dogs urinary tract health- ugh!
[notify]

~Angel (RIP- 11/20/07)~

Busy sprinkling- angel dust all- day

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '08 6:17am PST 
Hi Bandit wave I had this problem myself. I took the Berry Balance, and also mom changed my food. The more water you can get into your system, the better! So instead of getting mostly dry and a little canned, I got to switch to mostly canned and a small amount of dry. Also the vet recommended sprinkling my food with a small amount of no-sodium salt-substitute. That makes you thirsty, so you drink more water. The more water you get, the more you pee, and that keeps your system all flushed out.

We are big fans of the Berry Balance. I only got the one UTI...so I guess it worked!

Good luck! cheer
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '08 8:37am PST 
Be careful getting into ANYTHING that has calcium in it. Dehydration can exacerbate it, too.

We are lucky, I guess. Bernadette & Sammy both have them, but they are controlled by Hills Prescription Diet C/D.

hughughughug
NIKKO

*It's All About- Me*

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '08 9:12am PST 
I went through this with a past dogs of mine. When kept on Hills prescription diet C/D they did well with no problems... but if I ran out and tried to substitute with something else... they would return. Stay on the C/D if you can get it.

k9
[notify]
♥Pug- Hugs x- 3♥

3 x's the puggy- love.

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '08 12:49pm PST 
Nate;

The dairy concern would be because of the calcium intake. Humm.........never heard about the ash though. Will have to read up on that..........thanks!

Bandit
[notify]
♥Pug- Hugs x- 3♥

3 x's the puggy- love.

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '08 12:52pm PST 
Angel;

I have heard very good things about Berry Balance. Keeping paws crossed it works as well for Bandit as it did for you.

Bandit's Mom
[notify]
♥Pug- Hugs x- 3♥

3 x's the puggy- love.

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '08 12:55pm PST 
Our Vet never tried the c/d diet on Bandit. When he called Hills and spoke to their people the recommended the w/d for him so his little body didn't gain weight. Is the c/d for those that go back and forth between the struvite and the calcium oxilate crystals?
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '08 1:10pm PST 
We don't know about anything but the struvite crystals... sorry.

Daddy has the exact same kinds of crystals. HIS doctor suggested he drink more acidic drinks, like lemonaid, and NEVER EVER drink alcohol. He has to be sure to keep hydrated, as that is the worst thing for crystals.
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6