GO!

Loose stool problem

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Chef

Chef the- sockaholic

Barked: Tue May 29, '07 2:48pm PST 
Does anyone out there have a remedy for loose stools? Chef is on Purina Pro Plan kibble. Tried everything from yogurt to rice. Still, his stool is mushy. Vet says he's ok. Any advice? Thanks.
[notify]
Eve

Eve: aka Evil- Sidewinder

Barked: Tue May 29, '07 5:37pm PST 
hi Chef, sorry you got the "runs" thinking i'm surprised the vet didn't suggest changeing his food thinking but i'v seen posts in other forums suggesting a little pumpkin in the diet for this problem. shock who'da thunk it ! anyways i am sure you will get more helpful ideas from other more knowledgeable pups here. hope you feel better soon. hughughughughug
[notify]
Gwydion

Boxer Gentleman

Barked: Tue May 29, '07 5:45pm PST 
Pumpkin, and maybe a little higher quality kibble. Those would be my guesses. Purina is by FAR NOT the worst grocery store brand.... But it is a mid range food. Sometimes a little higher does better. But the pumpkin should help you
[notify]

Chef

Chef the- sockaholic

Barked: Tue May 29, '07 9:40pm PST 
Thank you both for your answers. We are going to now switch Chef from puppy to adult food and see if that makes a difference. If that doesn't work, we'll try the pumpkin. Will keep you posted. puppy

Edited by author Tue May 29, '07 9:41pm PST

[notify]
Murphy

Nov 6/04 - Feb 20/08

Barked: Wed May 30, '07 8:21am PST 
Hey Chef, I got runny number 2's when I was young too. It was caused because my mommy increased my food portions too fast. We took a break from our regular meals for one day, and ate only yogurt and a couple of tablespoons of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling). That got everything back to normal. Good luck!
[notify]
Eve

Barked: Wed May 30, '07 8:46am PST 
hey Murphy , thanks for the distinction between pumpkin & pie filling .......... never knew that ! way to go
[notify]
Maya

Excuse me, are- you gonna eat- that?

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '07 9:55am PST 
No that your feeding the worst food, just that maybe a different food wouldn't have that affect. How about Canidae/ Really good food reasonably priced. Remember , when adding pure pumpkin, not pie filling, only use a teaspoon once a day, anymore really will "cause"loose stools as well. Good luck!! You are awfully cutecheer
[notify]
Chef

Chef the- sockaholic

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '07 9:00pm PST 
Thank you all for your help. We will certainly try the canned pumpkin and yogurt with a day off Chef's normal diet. If that doesn't work, we will try a new brand of kibble. Will let you all know how i t goes.
By the way, have you seen Chef's blog? It's really cute. Google: www.boxerdogblog.blogspot.com. Hope you take a look.
snoopy
[notify]
Brutus

I was named- after the Ohio- State Mascot!

Barked: Sun Sep 23, '07 1:11pm PST 
I just came across this post and although it may be a little late, I can add that I was diagnosed at four years old with IBS and colitis. I had runny stools on and off for a long , long time. So much so, my Mom had me hospitalized twice because I was so weak. Finally, after seeing six different Vets, I met one who had a Boxer and said, "I know what is wrong with you. You have IBS and colitis." Now I eat a prescription diet of limited ingredients (IVD Venison & Potato) and I no longer get treats or table scraps. I am really a healthy boy now and by changing my diet and trying not to get too stressed out, it has added years to my life! WooWoo! cheer
[notify]
Eve

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '07 10:24am PST 
Brutus ..... wave so happy you found a diet that works for you ....
and that your strong & healthy today ! dancing dog
[notify]