GO!

Aggression/Guarding?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 2:18am PST 
If I could describe this problem accurately, I could fix it. But my dog surprises me, even now, after living with this 'screw loose' behavior. Cooper is well-socialized, well-exercised, well-disciplined, BUT, will occasionally lunge, teeth bared, at me or my wife. Sometimes, he's connected with our clothes or skin - with minimal to no damage - but who knows...?

The general setup for his misfire is this. We are sitting around quietly (one can be seated, the other in another room), Cooper laying there, drawing no attention to himself, probably watching us carefully. One of us stands, maybe approached the other, maybe not and BOOM! Here he comes... teeth first.

It's amazing to me, he'd attack me, but he does. I let him know, in no uncertain terms this is unacceptable (of course this is after the fact, but the best i can do) It's gotten to the point that somewhere after his initial outburst he calms down and behaves submissively to me before i even object to his behavior. but it's too late, he's already growled and lunged at me.

what the hell is this?

i read something here that might help, to give him a place whichever room we're in, might stop the problem before it occurs...

any thoughts?
[notify]
Jackson

Christmas Eve- Baby

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 5:40am PST 
Your question is behavioral, not breed (Border Collie) specific. Posting to the Behavioral & Training forum will gather additional response.

Any mention of Aggression/Guarding (real or misidentified; minor or major) is a behavior to be witnessed and evaluated by a behavioral and/or training professional. IMO - given the general description you furnished, any online reply answer/advice is irresponsible. Seek out onsite, local behavioral/training professionals -- as they will need to evaluate both the circumstances, environment and canine body language. Until you can do that, a good book to read is "Mine!" by Jean Donaldson.

Good luck. With the guidance of a trainer, w/ behavioral experience, you can both understand the why's & how's and modify behavior appropriately.

Edited by author Sat Dec 31, '11 5:42am PST

[notify]

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 7:41am PST 
thanks for your response
i'll repost
[notify]

Jackson

Christmas Eve- Baby

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 2:26pm PST 
Shayne posted an incredibly great reply in the Behavior & Training forum to this OP.
[notify]
Shayne CGC,- RL2

Shayne- Disc Doggin in- the 'Burgh!

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 9:01pm PST 
Jackson, thanks... it appears that you have left Dogster and I wanted to PM you back... you should drop me an email successjustclicks@gmail.com or find success just clicks on FB (you can't search for me on fb, you have to have mutual friends)... etc.

Guest... that other thread has gotten a little beyond your initial question and i'm not sure you are checking back here but I did want to reiterate what i said about having a professional come in and take a look at what is happening if you would like to address the behavior and make it stop. There are so many different things that can elicit the behavior similar to what you described that figuring out where the behavior is rooted is important. If you don't really have plans or the desire to change the behavior, no need to call anyone in for help.
[notify]