GO!

A good moment that came out of a frustrating one.

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Ohana

Is it time to- play ball?

Barked: Fri Nov 13, '09 1:04pm PST 
Hi all,

I have a "good" thing to share with all of you. As you might remember, my little Ohana is very timid and is not so happy to be handled by us.

When she comes in from the back yard we have a towel ready to wipe off her muddy paws and while she puts up with this exercise, it's pretty obvious that she doesn't like it. Very rarely she will race to her crate instead of letting me clean her paws, but this is happening less and less.

Last night, when she came in I asked her to "show me your belly" which is her command to lie on her side and show me her feet. I quickly noticed (and smelled) that it was not only mud that needed to be cleaned off of her feet. She has this odd habit of twirling in a circle when she poops and every now and again (I'm surprised not more often) she'll step in her own "leavings".

I asked my husband to get me some wet paper towels and it took me about 10 minutes to get her clean. A couple of times she tried to creep away and I had to hold on to her a little more firmly than I normally do. My husband looked at me and said "well, we won't be seeing that dog for a while..." We both expected her to immediately bolt after I said "ok" and hide in one of her safe places for hours- especially since her ears were pinned back and her eyes and belly looked a little pink. Amazingly, when I gave her the "ok", she took one look down the hallway, then turned and ran behind me for her favorite toy! I was so happy! I played fetch with her until her tongue practically touched the floor. It was a great stepcheer
[notify]
Panda

Let's go! Let's- drive!- Yeah!!!!!!

Barked: Fri Nov 13, '09 7:40pm PST 
She will turn out to be one fantastic dog!!!!

I checked out your profile and you must write about how she came to live with you....

There are so many great dogs at shelters.... you are lucky you found her!
snoopy
[notify]