GO!

How much does your Border Collie weigh?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Beauregard

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Sat Jan 10, '09 8:56pm PST 
My Beauregard weighed at 36.9 lbs when I weighed him on Thursday. He is 7 months old and he is not overweight according to my vet. I have him and my Shih-tzu Leo enrolled in dog training classes at Petsmart. They have two different dog trainers right now, and Leo's happened to tell me that Beau was too big for a border collie. From what I understand there is no real set standard for border collies because of the great variation due to their working background, but they usually average anywhere from 30-55 lbs. Most of the bc we see around here are smaller, but both of Beau's parents were larger. I just wanted to see how everyone else's dogs were weighing in and if there were any larger bcs out there like my Beau. smile
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Sat Jan 10, '09 9:34pm PST 
The average weight fur a border collie is usually between 30-50 lbs.
But the sizes in border collies varies quite significantly.
Cobain is about 40lbs at almost 3 years old. And he is on the small side height wise for a border collie.
Beau looks great from what I can see in the pictures, you're just likely to end up with a big BC, naturally, nothing to do with being over weight.
[notify]
Jackson

Christmas Eve- Baby

Barked: Sun Jan 11, '09 5:59am PST 
From your photos, in my opinion, Beau's weight looks fine. At 10 years old, Jackson weighs 40 lbs. Until he reached 5 - 6 years old, he weighed about 36-38 lbs. and between 39-41 ever since. He's always been kind of wiry and considered on the small size of Border Collie standard. So long as your vet is happy with his weight, I'd thank the trainer for his observation and concern, but let it go in one ear and out the other.
[notify]

TBBS&S

Barked: Sun Jan 11, '09 10:00am PST 
The 2 girls weigh between 32 - 35lbs each, the 2 boys weigh between 38 - 40 lbs each, none of them are big dogs though, the girls are 19" tall, Bertie is 19.5" tall and Boomer is 20.5" tall.
[notify]
Shadow

Cat Corraler

Barked: Mon Jan 12, '09 9:37pm PST 
Border Collie's weight greatly varies usually due to what they are bred for. The working bred Border Collies are not bred to any cosmetic standard, rather for working ability and instinct so they generally vary in height and weight.

Shadow is 17" at the withers and 30 pounds, he is on the lean side. Syke is still a growing pup, so I am excited to see how he turns out.

Edited by author Mon Jan 12, '09 9:39pm PST

[notify]
Rune

"I ride the- short bus every- day!"

Barked: Wed Jan 14, '09 11:20am PST 
I find that weights can vary from a petite 25lbs to a whopping 65lbs!

Rune is 31lbs.
Idolon is a slight 28lbs.
[notify]
Misty

Misty "Moo Cow"

Barked: Thu Jan 15, '09 4:43pm PST 
Your right BC's do vary in sizes and weight. 30-55 is about what the weights avg. according to most sites I've been on and read information about. Misty's now 1 1/2 yrs. old and weighs pretty much close to the high end of 45-48 lbs. Although, I think she's put on some winter weight and could be even a little closer to the 50-55 mark! But she gave me & hubby the eye when I asked hubby her weight and he said 50! LOL Just like a girl! laugh out loud But she's also a big dog, she is not a small BC, she's as big as any German Shepherd or Lab out there. So if your vet says your dogs weight is fine, then I would be okay with that.
[notify]
Beauregard

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Wed Jan 28, '09 10:15am PST 
Thanks everyone. It's nice to know my Beau isn't the only larger BC out there. All the one's we see around here are definitely on the petite side. They tend to look more like dainty lap dogs than a herding breed. The same trainer told me yesterday that he kind of resembles her Aussies in the face, but I don't think he is a mix. Both parents looked like Border Collies, but I guess I could be wrong...since he doesn't have any papers I guess anything is possible.
[notify]
Jackson

Christmas Eve- Baby

Barked: Wed Jan 28, '09 6:17pm PST 
Beau looks purebred Border Collie. I just realized he has different colored eyes like me -- makes us extra special handsome!!
[notify]
Nymphadora Tonks

Faster than a- speeding bullet!

Barked: Fri Jan 30, '09 3:17pm PST 
Tonks is on the small side, and even though she is lanky she only weighs around 28-30 lbs at around 15 or so months (according to the vet, she's a rescue so I can't know her real age for sure). She has grown a lot since I got her, and was 20 lb when I picked her up, and quite a bit shorter.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3