GO!

What is the average life span of a basset?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Matilda [no longer mine]

Do you gots a- treat?

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '07 8:02pm PST 
people keep tellin me and my mom that bassets live until they are 5 or 6 but my mom knows some bassets who are alot older than that. My mom also wants to know cuz I ate ALOT of chocolate a week before christmas and the vet said that will take a few years off my lifespancry
[notify]
Droopy CD,- RA, HH, TDI,- CGC

I didn't do it

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '07 6:10am PST 
Life expectancy for a basset is about 12 years. I know a lady who's basset lived to be 15 years.
[notify]
Matilda [no longer mine]

Do you gots a- treat?

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '07 7:40am PST 
Thanks Droopy!!smile
[notify]

Lucy

Beautiful- Bassador!

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '07 6:14am PST 
I'm only half basset but I would like to comment. I know a basset who is 16, she is hard of hearing now but is very healthy.
[notify]
Matilda [no longer mine]

Do you gots a- treat?

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '07 10:59pm PST 
WOW Thanks Lucy!!
[notify]
Missy

I'll bark like- there is no- tomorrow!

Barked: Sun Jul 22, '07 10:01pm PST 
like 10-12 yrs is i think the average life span of a basset.
[notify]
Caleb (at- the Rainbow- Bridge)

my kingdom for a- couch and- cookie!

Barked: Thu Sep 20, '07 5:22am PST 
I'm about 6, we think, and I'm still going pretty strong (I've always been kinda laid back). I still enjoy a good romp in the yard, or in the house. My mom hopes I stick around for a long time, because she says I'm her baby (even if we did get that chewy, bite-ie, jumpy bulldog puppy and he's younger than me.)
[notify]
Moose

Nap time is the- best time.

Barked: Wed Mar 12, '08 4:39pm PST 
I'm about 10 now with no major health issues and still spry. I think it depends a lot on if you inherited any breed related disorders and if you are overweight.
[notify]
Ruby

There is nothing- like a basset- smooch!

Barked: Fri Mar 14, '08 10:07am PST 
Why would a vet say such a thing!? shrug If the chocolate didn't affect you at the time then it never should. I'm going to go ask about that in Dog Health.. that just doesn't sound right! If eating something I shouldn't eat takes years off your life then I've got one foot in the grave already! big laughbig laughbig laugh

Anyways.. while the average lifespan of a basset is around 10-12 years.. I think it all depends on genetics, proper care by parent and proper vet care, definitely exercise!!! We know a basset hound that lived on a horse ranch here that lived to be 18!!!! eekeekeek She was stinky, but still full of pep! way to go

Edited by author Fri Mar 14, '08 10:08am PST

[notify]
Droopy

Silence is- golden.

Barked: Tue Apr 1, '08 3:57pm PST 
Our first basset, Audrey May, had to be put to sleep last week at the age of 12. We have since adopted Droopy who is four and has plenty of pep. Anyone who tells you that bassets only live to be 5 0r 6 doesn't know what they are talking about.

And as far as what that vet said...well, I agree with Ruby. Dogs shouldn't eat chocolate but if anything bad were going to happened to your dog it would have happened by now.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2