GO!

Samson - how much Aussie?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Samson

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 11:08am PST 
Samson was dumped in our back yard at 1 am on January 2. Our big dogs were barking, we let them out, and found him cowering behind the trash can. He was probably, according to vet, around 7 weeks old at the time. He had hookworms, roundworms and lots of fleas but was not anemic. He is now over 12 weeks - has gone from 7.5 pounds to 15.5 pounds, very active and healthy and sweet but very shy with other people. He sometimes even backs away from my husband a little. I seem to be the only one he totally trusts and I'm trying to change that but don't have a lot of opportunties for socialization. He just sits very still and if put down tries to hide under furniture when other people approach him yet he won't fight it if you hand him to someone else - he will just sit there. Not, however, afraid to try to wrestle with the other dogs so it's a constant battle because the others are 46 pounds, 56 pounds and then there is my 15 pounder that he jumps and she hates him - he nips constantly. At first we thought he was Bernese Mountain - he appears so stocky - even some Bernese owners thought so - but he is too small and now many say Australian Shepherd possibly mixed with something else. That's what we are trying to figure out. Most of the pictures I see of Aussies if they are tri-color black they have less brown on the face - can't find any that look exactly like him. Plus there is that full length tail with white tip. His fur is very soft but it's still puppy fur. Would love to know what everyone thinks of him and his heritage.
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '12 4:25pm PST 
He does look reminiscent of an Aussie. But I think it's a safer bet just to refer to him as a generic herding dog mix. Good luck with him!
[notify]