GO!

Aussie tails

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Red

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 6:14am PST 
I was wondering if anyone could give me a number for the rough proportion of Aussies born with full tails? Red is a Aussie x collie and has a beautiful full tail, at some point in the future I would love a full Australian Shepherd but most of the ones I see at shows are bobbed! Rebecca
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '12 11:12am PST 
Ok so this is what i know the breed standers calls for a bob or docked tail so most AKC breeders will dock the tails if the puppy's are born with long tails. many pups are born with bob tails of half tails or full tails it would be harder to find a AS with a long tail but there are some just have to look at little harder. i really like the docked tails tho i have had rottweilers and they have docked tails and they do this really cute butt wiggling thing when they are happy my AS puppy does it to. also they won't clear the coffee table with there tail. my girlfriend has a Pitbull and that tail will destroy everything!!! lol
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Sat Jan 28, '12 5:58am PST 
I would guess 95%+ are born with full tails. Most are then docked at a few days of age.
[notify]

Jackson

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 7:00am PST 
I've also heard that they are born short already. i don't know if i have ever seen one with a long tail but then again there aren't many aussie owners around my parts. i know mine was born docked and his whole litter were too.
[notify]
Red

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '12 10:34am PST 
Cool thanks I'll look into it some more smile
[notify]