GO!

Aussie a good dog for me?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Kana

Chilean Border!

Barked: Sat Jun 18, '11 8:51am PST 
First of all hello and sorry for my English, I am from Chile and speak Spanish.

I would like to know if an Aussie would be a good dog for me. I have already read about this type of dogs, and seems that it would be perfect. Let me tell you guys a little bit about myself.

I go to school daily but next year I will join University. I am a real sportish eighteen child/women who enjoys long trekkings, mountain bike, excersising myself every single day, etc.

I train my dog in possitive, using a clicker and game motivation as price.

I own a Border Collie (14 months), she's amazing and I love her (the first dog I have owned), but I feel like I need another dog, with a different personality. My Border Collie couldn't be more happy, I take her to run to the hill at least three times a week for one or two hours (sometimes 5-8 hours trekking), take her to run with the bike 45 minutes a day (if not going to the hill), practice obedience daily and also we do Canicross.

Even my BC is an energy machine that could work 24 hours without sleeping, nervouse as hell and hyperactive, right now she's sleeping next to me after a one hour bike run and 30 minutes of play in the park.

I own two other dogs, both of them are small sized, all of them female in which one of those is like the alpha female since she's my parentes' dog (who rule the house).

I have 12 hens, my BC really likes to chase them off (since I haven't teach her how the right way to do it).

Well going to my question; would an Aussie be a right dog for me?

I am a really relaxed person who lacks of dominant (authoritary) behavior (I am somehow neutral, I believe in equal relationship rather than "dominating" someone else) but still I set the rules up, love discipline, order and respect.

I read in other web that Aussies tend to be dominant? Is that true? My BC is really submisive and has no problems with other dogs or people (I gave her a really good socialization, as I took her daily to a dog park during her puphood). Is this dominant behavior natural or can be solved with good training and perfect socialization?

Last thing (yes finally, sorry for taking your time guys ^^). What I dislike from my dog, the only thing I don't like is that she's too nice to everyone, she is all the opposite of the definition loyal and that is what I can't stand in a dog. She is capable of leaving me alone in a 6 hour trekking and go with an unknown group of people (she did that once, and I don't doubt she could do it again, even though I trained her to stay close, follow and come to the call), not even looking back to me and come back only when it's time to go home.

It hurts that my best friend after all what I have sacrificed, taught and risked for her, she just go with any person it crosses around, and I really WOULDN'T like to have another dog like that...

What I look in a dog is loyalty, good disposition to work, affectionate to the owner, sure of themselves and of course; energetic! (that's why I got a BC, but the personality wasn't what I really wanted it seems).

I have other questions too (even though I have already read about it, but I want personal experience from you, readers)

1. How is your Aussie as in personality?
2. How much exercise does he/she needs daily?
3. Are this dogs good to other animals?
4. Are Aussies loyal and affectionate?
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Wed Jun 22, '11 6:36pm PST 
"I read in other web that Aussies tend to be dominant? Is that true? My BC is really submisive and has no problems with other dogs or people (I gave her a really good socialization, as I took her daily to a dog park during her puphood). Is this dominant behavior natural or can be solved with good training and perfect socialization?"

Referring to any dogs/breeds as dominant is a pretty out of date description.

Aussies are more resilient and bossy than Border Collies, in my experience. That's probably what you've heard referred to as "dominance". My girl would be a hellion if I hadn't offered her consistency, clearly defined rules, opportunities to learn, and lots of outlets for her energy. Where BCs can shut down when they're stressed, I find Aussies are less phased by it and recover more quickly. They're also more headstrong and less naturally inclined to be tuned into you. Basically in any dog you'll see an inverse relationship between a dog's confidence and their focus on their handler. (Less confident dogs are more focused, more confident dogs less so.)

I would think twice about getting another dog at this point in your life. You're young, your schedule is likely to change in the coming years, and you don't know what life will bring. Being responsible for a dog (or a second dog) can be a lot to handle. Some people do just fine, but some people also find themselves giving their animals up for adoption.

Aussies are supposed to be naturally standoffish towards strangers once they hit maturity. Their puppy love-everyone nature slowly fades and they become less inclined to solicit attention from strangers. However... that's also supposed to be a BC trait. And you've seen first hand that this can vary within the breed. In my experience most Aussies get standoffish as they age.

"1. How is your Aussie as in personality?
2. How much exercise does he/she needs daily?
3. Are this dogs good to other animals?
4. Are Aussies loyal and affectionate?"

1. As I mentioned, my Aussie is standoffish with strangers. She doesn't care much for other dogs (but will play with a select few) and can be a bully with some. She's incredibly smart and the most easily trained dog I've ever worked with. She adores me and listens well, but doesn't pay much attention to when other people give her commands.

2. She gets 1-2 hours of off leash walks a day, plus classes, training at home and sports.

3. She's not great. She is okay with dogs she's familiar with, cats, etc. Strange dogs can make her uncomfortable, and she'll either avoid them, or snap at them if she feels trapped.

4. I'd say they're about medium at both loyalty and affection. Cohen is glued to my side, but she's always motivated by her own short term goals. Affection-wise, she'll cuddle in the mornings but mostly she's just happy being in the same room as you. Our bonding time is our training time.
[notify]
Kana

Chilean Border!

Barked: Tue Jun 28, '11 10:05am PST 
Thanks for the answer! Anyway I'm looking forward in the future, not next year, well, not probably.

College in Chile is much different than in the US, here you have really flexible schedulles, perhaps only 2 or 3 hours of class a day and then you return home. Sometimes no classes at all and well, sometimes you have to stay until 11pm at the university, but of course depends.

Time and changes is not a problem to me. Actually I am at school, start at 7.50am and finish at 4.30pm, sometimes until 6pm since I train volleyball and I still have a lot of time for my BC and study.
[notify]