GO!

Huck was nearly killed this weekend...

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Huck

Frisbee???- Leap!!

Barked: Tue Jun 16, '09 8:27am PST 
So I haven't posted too much, but I was wondering if any of you have experienced this. I apologize for the lengthy post.

I had/have two australian shepherds. They are from the same litter.

Huck, I rescued after his former owner brought him back to the breeder after a divorce I've had him for about seven months he's 1 year old.

Indy I got from the breeder at 10 weeks old and raised myself. Both of my dogs were meant to be performance dogs...Indy does not enjoy agility, frisbee, or any other type of training though. I was fine with keeping him as a pet but something odd started to happen about a month ago.

Indy no longer responded to my commands would throw himself into a panic attack at new situations and was becoming increasingly aloof. He actually ran away from me during a frisbee play time.

Well, on saturday, Indy attacked Huck and would not release. Huck nearly died he was approximately 30 seconds from death when I had to cut his collar off and hurl Indy across the room to save his life. Indy turned and bit me broke many nerves on my arm and bit through my index finger. I was going to have Indy put down for this but took him back to the breeder instead as per her decision.

Now I am keeping Huck....he's an awesome dog and is very much a velcro aussie...but what scared me was that the breeder said that this behavior was normal
thinking

Now I'm a vet student not an animal behaviorist...but my dog defecating beneath the pool table as his brother nearly kills him does not seem "normal" to me. Has anyone heard or experienced this sort of thing with their aussies?
[notify]
Cody- Alexander

live ur life you- may not be there- tomaro

Barked: Tue Jun 16, '09 10:20am PST 
ok well i have only one aussie but if that were normal in aussies he would have attacked me or any other dog. well he hasnt and that is deffanitly not normal in this beloved breed. cody is the perfect gentlemen and i think that if that lady thinks its normal for her aussies than she must have had quite a few die the way huck almost did. but there is a reason this kind of thing occurs in dogs its called rage syndrom but its very rare and i dont think its exactly what ur dog had becasue it explaines that they give no warning or do not freiht but ur do did but he also attacked off warning so mabey he has a touch of it.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Unpredictable-Aggression-In-Dogs- --Rage-Syndrome---A-Neurological-Disorder&id=998912
[notify]
Huck

Frisbee???- Leap!!

Barked: Tue Jun 16, '09 1:35pm PST 
Thank you for the respone, I'll definately look into that. He did not give any warning at all so that is a possibility.

I've decided not to get another dog from that breeder, I love the aussie breed and I do not think that behavior is normal either. I have been thinking that what happened was possibly a neurological issue or an issue with his thyroid.
[notify]

Cody- Alexander

Barked: Tue Jun 16, '09 5:53pm PST 
your welcome and if you ever choose to get another aussie id suggest a hobby breeder you know or talk with one and check out the dogs and ask many questions about family and bloodline. but there are also aussie rescues out there.

all this is what i didnt do when i got cody my aussie i should have asked about bloodline and issues in the family line but i was to excited about getting him when i saw him i didnt think he has some issues himself but nothing major other than the hip issue.
[notify]
Mia

5/12/08-10/10/10-

Barked: Tue Jun 16, '09 9:20pm PST 
I suggest you post this in the Behavior and training forum There's a lot of knowledgeable people over there. Also did you get Indy checked by a vet? A sudden change in behavior is quite often a warning sign that there is something wrong health-wise?
[notify]
Huck

Frisbee???- Leap!!

Barked: Wed Jun 17, '09 5:38am PST 
Yes I did get Indy checked by a vet quite a few times. Being a vet student myself I have the luxury of bringing him in to the see the doctors who teach at my university. I too thought that it was a medical issue...but at his age there are few things that could have been affecting him unless he had a severe inherited disease. I got his thyroid checked when he was 9 months old and it was fine...

Now Indy was always tachycardic and I often would take his TPRs myself to see if his over active heart beat fluxuated but it wasn't fluxuating simply staying where it was at.

My vet said over active sympathetic system which is what controls fight or flight...but unpredictable aggression has nothing to do with fight or flight.
[notify]
Chase (CGC)

I'm A Proud- Wiggle Butt!

Barked: Wed Jun 17, '09 9:21am PST 
NO, this is not normal behavior for an Aussie (or any breed really). If this breeder thinks that's normal... maybe she should stop breeding..
[notify]
Huck

Frisbee???- Leap!!

Barked: Wed Jun 17, '09 11:33am PST 
I'm in agreement with you on that Chase, I know for certain I won't be going back.

I think sometimes people run into some good luck with one dog and get a really awesome dog very trainable and think themselves a behaviorist.

I think I got the best I could out of the situation with Huck...he's truly an awesome dog.
[notify]
Cody- Alexander

Barked: Wed Jun 17, '09 6:25pm PST 
you said that the dog was about 1 year old right? thats normaly when the rage syndrom progresses is around the ripe age of 1 to 2 years old i suggest looking ito the rage syndrom thing.
[notify]
Kodiak

Anything that- was yours is now- mine

Barked: Thu Jun 18, '09 9:58am PST 
Like almost everyone else has said, this is definitely not normal behavior for an Aussie. Australian Shepherds are the only dogs that I have ever owned; I currently have two and neither of them have shown any form of aggressive behavior to each other. The only reason why I would figure an Aussie to be aggressive would be if it didn't get enough exercise, they will become frustrated or bored. But I don't think that was the case with Indy. If the breeder said that this was "normal" behavior, she/he must have had this experience before with another dog buyer and his/her dog because it certainly is not "normal". Just as a heads up for next time, maybe you should look into the breeder a little more....ask for references (*in most cases* if the breeder is unwilling to supply serious buyers with this information, they are most likely trying to hide something), ask for the parents history and health issues (if any). Hope Huck is feeling better. Good luck. big grin
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2