GO!

any advise im new to the australian shepherd breed

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

maddy

Barked: Fri Jun 12, '09 9:41pm PST 
i just got an aussie puppy shes what ive found out called a lethal white? shes deaf and blind i got her off craigslist because i saw her pic i contacted the owner and she said this pup was as she put it (destroyable pup in an otherwise great litter of aussies) so i had to take the puppy i felt terrible the lady said she was going to do her own version of euthinasia to the pup had she not found somebody to take it off her hands. so here i am with a new aussie in my family of corgis and an irish setter iv a corgi thats deaf but ive not had a dog both deaf and blind any advise given is a big step for us
[notify]
Kado

Couch Potato

Barked: Sat Jun 13, '09 3:53am PST 
Hi, I don't know much about deaf and blind dogs, but I found some links for you. I raised a deaf Dalmatian when I was young.

I am so glad that you have this little sweetie!hug

A deaf and blind dog is generally trained with "touch." Scent and a vibrating (not shock) are used as well. Safety is very important, as your doggie can easily get lost and/or hit by a car. So always keep her in a very secure enclosed area. Also make sure she cannot slip her collar when you take her out. You might want to use a harness to be on the safe side.

I would suggest that you introduce her to your house gradually. So start with keeping her in one small area. Also, get a crate for her. You will want to leave items with your scent on it for her -- to calm her and make her feel more secure.

Youwho the blind & deaf dog's site with lots of info on owning and training a deaf & blind dog

a yahoo group that you can join for owners of blind&deaf dogs

A short youtube video of a blind&deaf Aussie doing tricks which he learned through touch signals!

short video of Stella the deaf & blind Catahoula

[notify]
Kado

Couch Potato

Barked: Sat Jun 13, '09 5:28am PST 
Information about Vibrating Collars from the Deaf Dog Education Action Fund
[notify]

maddy

Barked: Sat Jun 13, '09 11:31am PST 
thanks and those sites are amazeing im going to have to use some of these techniqes and ive decided today im going to go find a vibrate collar

by the way my computer messed up and posted this like 3 times i didnt do it on purpose
[notify]
Kado

Couch Potato

Barked: Sat Jun 13, '09 7:13pm PST 
Glad you found something useful!
I loved the fact that you could see the doggies still really enjoying themselves, in spite of everything. smile
[notify]
Las Rocosa- "Onda"

A Most Versatile- Aussie!

Barked: Sun Jun 14, '09 5:10am PST 
"Lethal white" Aussies are a lamentable problem in the breed, and entirely preventable. They result from a merle-to-merle breeding, where there is a one-in-four chance of getting a white-faced dog. Typically, such dogs are partially deaf, partially blind, or both. The proper Aussie mating when a merle is involved is to mate it with a tri-colored dog or solid-colored Aussie. Anyone unsure about a breeding should consult a quality Aussie breeder. Better, don't breed your dogs ... leave it to hobby breeders who are serious about their responsibility to the quality of their animals! That said, I am glad you adopted this dog, which I am sure is deserving of your time and love. It is a big sacrifice on your part and I hope you get years of enjoyment from this animal!
[notify]
maddy

Barked: Sun Jun 14, '09 9:05am PST 
its time consueiming yes but shes actualy a very smart dog shes already picked up on the vibrateing collar and shes got that when i tap on the floor she feels for it and comes running. ive decided id stick with her feeling sence its easier becaues the vibrate collar goes to her feeling sence so it tells her things as in bad or good like last night i took her and my other dogs outside and she was getting to close to the end of the 30ft leash i got for her so i vibrated the collar and she stopped and turned around. so if i tap on the floor and she feels it she knows that means for her to come to me.
[notify]
Kado

Couch Potato

Barked: Sun Jun 14, '09 2:07pm PST 
cheercheercheer
[notify]