GO!

Naughty boy

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Atticus

Barked: Wed Nov 19, '08 9:01pm PST 
I have a nine month old aussie puppy. He is the most hyperactive and joyful puppy I have ever seen. And that is also his problem. I adore him so much, but it seems that unless I am right at his side he is getting into trouble and destroying something. I've tried several different discipline methods and different types of activities to stimulate his activity and mind. Could anyone give me some advice on training his behavior and activities for him? The last thing I want is to have to get rid of my boy because he is being too destructive.
[notify]
Thomas Jacob- Madsen

Daddy is that- you?

Barked: Thu Nov 20, '08 1:25pm PST 
What exactly are the bad things that he has done? Also, what are the activities you have tried with him? What time of day does he destroy things? In what situations does he destroy things? What is your daily routine? What is his daily routine? After I get these answers I will be more able to help you figure the rest out. This is by far my favorite breed so I will do anything to help you out that I can so you can live harmoniously with him smile.
[notify]
Atticus

Barked: Thu Nov 20, '08 3:01pm PST 
He tears through plastic bags. He digs. He eats clothing left in the bathroom and harasses the cat.Any potted plants he dumps out all over the floor. The plastic bags and the clothing are repetitive behaviors. He knows sit and stay, but is disobediant. We've been doing daily walks of about an hour, and try to take him to the dog park several times a week where he can run free. He loves frisbee and fetch, so we do that in the afternoons after our walks. He's home alone for about four hours a day, but we've been having to leave him inside during that time because if he is left outside he digs. He seems to be most destructive in the late afternoon towards evening, after he has been walked. He only is destructive when he is in a hyper mood and we don't pay attention to that, but he can go from completely passive and perfectly calm to hyper at the drop of a hat. He's really a good pup and I love the breed, just a bit misguided.

Edited by author Thu Nov 20, '08 3:05pm PST

[notify]

Thomas Jacob- Madsen

Daddy is that- you?

Barked: Thu Nov 20, '08 3:38pm PST 
I guess one main thing is where is the mental stimulation? I find it that Thomas is a little destructive even still when he doesnt get enough attention physically or mentally.
[notify]
Basia

the fetch is- strong in this- one

Barked: Thu Nov 20, '08 8:51pm PST 
I'd consider getting some Apple Bitter to spray on things that are not his. If he is doing this while you are home, shaking change in an aluminum can is a good correction method. If he is destructive while you are away proper crate training would be in order.

I agree with Thomas that Aussies need a job as well as mental challenges. I'd consider looking into local agility, disc, or even herding programs. Even constant obedience and companion training counts.

My 9 year old still wouldn't be tired out by an hour walk. Even a few hours at the dog park doesn't slow her down much. It takes even longer when it is cooler out. I love my dog and so do others, but I never recommend Aussies to anyone unless they have a very active lifestyle. They are for people who live on a farm or hike, run, or swim daily.
[notify]