GO!

How Feisty Was Your Aussie as a Puppy??

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Ruby

Barked: Wed Nov 19, '08 9:59am PST 
I got my first Aussie (RIP Girl!) at 14 weeks old, and I think she was remarkably calm even at that age. As an adult she turned out to just wonderfully match the mood of her surroundings--active or calm, and it was a great characteristic.

Now, I have a 9 week old Red Tri, and she is ROWDY! and already likes to bark when playing.

She also nips and teeths on everything which I realize is normal, and I have all the chew toys I can fit in the house.

So how feisty was your puppy at this age? How did their adult temperment pan out? I just have a feeling that this one is going to be dominant and very energetic based on her behavior now but I don't have much experience to compare. She constantly wants to nip at your hands and clothes. Someone said to squeeze a bit on her lip when she does this, but if she's in a particularly feisty mood this almost seems to escalate the nipping!

Thanks for your comments.
[notify]
Thomas Jacob- Madsen

Daddy is that- you?

Barked: Wed Nov 19, '08 10:49am PST 
Thomas was calm and gentle as a pup as not changed since then. smile
[notify]
Kilkenny's- Saint Samson

Barked: Sat Nov 22, '08 1:01am PST 
Samson alternates between calm and lazy (he likes to lie down and drink his water.......) and super spaztic hyper and runs around nipping the other dogs, half-barking, and bouncing everywhere, lol
[notify]

Dustin

Barked: Thu Feb 26, '09 1:38pm PST 
This seems to be a very old post but I'll answer anyway lol smile Dustin is only about 5 months so, don't know how he will be as an adult yet but he is the most hyper puppy I have ever met in my life. He constantly needs to be entertained or will find ways to entertain himself ( chewing on my cell phone or exchanging his giant toilet paper roll for my camera). If you stop paying attention to him to watch a tv show at night he runs over to the mini rocking chair in front of our fireplace hits it with his nose, the rocking chair in turn starts moving, he then runs away and barks at it, once the chair stops moving the whole cycle starts over again. Needless to say the rocking chair is now in my room. He also buries his toys in the dirt in the plants. He goes for walks,goes to the barn(stays on a leash) and comes home and wants to play fetch. So yeah he's quite the energetic puppy smile
[notify]
Dot

What do you mean- I'm a terror?

Barked: Thu Feb 26, '09 8:54pm PST 
Mia is a bad example as she was always a shy & fearful pup, but she was the easiest puppy ever, never chewed anything, never barked, but LOVED to nip ankles. She's mellowed out a LOT now but is totally OCD about the ball/frisbee.
Now Dot, she's a Mini aussie (and I have a sneaking suspicion 1/2 border collie) is off the friggin wall! She's a barker/nipper/chewer/jumper ...total ADD. It'll be interesting to see how she turns out, I'll let you know if I survive her puppyhood. laugh out loud
Between the two of them everything is 100% opposite.
[notify]
Shelby

*~I only LOOK- sweet &- innocent~*

Barked: Mon Mar 9, '09 9:20pm PST 
Granted Shelby is still very much a puppy (at 8 months old), she is much calmer than she used to be. You would think that I was adding speed to her food or something! She would chew on anything she could get her teeth on including the baseboard on walls and even the floor of my apartment. I never did figure out how she managed to eat a linoleum floor (since it is pretty flat, as floors usually are). I thought she was going to drive me insane, LoL. After a while she calmed down a bit, but still loves to play! What a great dog! happy dance
[notify]
Zora

Zora - Wonderdog

Barked: Fri Dec 23, '11 3:00pm PST 
I'm going to bump this really old thread because I'm at work and it's a wasteland here due to it being Christmas and all and I've got time to spare.

Zora is now 2 years old, but as a puppy I often wondered what I got myself into. She would nip (and sometimes make you bleed,) she peed on our sofa, chewed our sofa, chewed every single baseboard and door moulding in our family room, and was otherwise a barking terror. She has finally settled into one amazing dog, but it took a while to get there! party
[notify]
Chaos, A- Demon Named

Barked: Mon Dec 26, '11 7:02pm PST 
I have Chaos who is a 13 week old... Got him at 7 weeks. I used to foster Pits and I thought that was as bad as it gets... NOPE! Chaos is chaos. He "controls chaos" with other dogs when they run around, chasing them, nipping and barking. Anything he can get his mouth on is done. Hoping he calms down when we start puppy classes and he's done teething.
[notify]