GO!

Question about Hip Dysplasia

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Sheila

Wiggle Butt

Barked: Sun Oct 26, '08 9:17pm PST 
Hi everyone, I have a question about hip dysplasia and Aussies. We rescued Sheila from our local Humane Society. From what the shelter knows, she is eight months old and is a pure bred Aussie, but her owners could not find a home for her and a sibling, so they surrendered them to the shelter to find their forever homes. My question is: Are Aussies prone to hip dysplasia? How old are they when they are diagnosed? Are there things I can do to prevent it? I was reading in one thread that you should not agility train until after a year. I have no intention of agility training, but sure do enjoy playing fetch and chasing her/her chasing me around the yard. Is this too much for her? We love her so much, we don't want to hurt her.
Thanks! wave
[notify]
Rusty

R.I.P dear Raja

Barked: Sun Oct 26, '08 10:28pm PST 
I don't think that Aussie's are prone to itthinking
I know that any breed can get it if they are jumping/weaving too much under the age of 18 months.
[notify]
Ty

Ty boy!

Barked: Mon Oct 27, '08 5:26pm PST 
It depends on the lines (which because of the situation are unknown in your case) Some lines are more prone to it than others, just like some lines have trouble with epilepsy while others have managed to avoid it. It is not overall a huge problem in our breed but enough that dogs being bred should always be tested.

Moderate activity should not hurt (it is growth plates that would be more affected by strenuous activity rather than joints)
[notify]

Mia

5/12/08-10/10/10-

Barked: Tue Oct 28, '08 7:59pm PST 
Found this:
"Most recent statistics from OFA report an incidence of 6.5% of Aussies with HD from 9,712 evaluated. This sounds like a small percentage, but it is about 1 out of 15 which would be one in every two litters. This statistic comes from dogs owned by conscientious breeders and owners who use the OFA, and not the general population so this may be deceiving. To be a conscientious breeder, breed only OFA certified individuals and guarantee pups to be free from HD. Littermates and siblings are also important. An animal diagnosed as having HD should never be bred."
[notify]
Sheila

Wiggle Butt

Barked: Wed Oct 29, '08 6:44am PST 
Thanks for the information. I didn't think about epilepy being something some Aussies are prone with. I am taking her to our vet tomorrow for a check-up and will have him check out her hips at that time. As far a breeding, that is a non-issue. She came to us spayed and we are happy for it. big grin
[notify]
Abbey

Aussie Tomboy!

Barked: Thu Oct 30, '08 6:04pm PST 
Just remember that Aussies are at high risk for ivermectin toxicity, so ask your vet about putting her on Interceptor for heartworm prevention.
[notify]
Sheila

Wiggle Butt

Barked: Fri Oct 31, '08 5:15am PST 
Did not know about the ivermectin toxicity, will remember that. Lucky for us, our vet is a Aussie lover himself, having Aussies for the last 20 years as his pets. He is very knowlegable and has a great "bedside manner". He gave Sheila a clean bill of health and no hip problems!big grin
[notify]