GO!

A question of size...guesstimates welcome!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Mia

5/12/08-10/10/10-

Barked: Sun Oct 12, '08 8:42pm PST 
Hi! I'm new here!
I'm always asked how big Mia is going to get, and I can only reply with "somewhere between 35-50lbs". Right now she's 5 months and 24-25 lbs & stands 18 inches at the shoulder (she's all legs)
She was the runt of the litter (litter of 2), and at nearly 10 weeks was a tiny 9lbs. After I got her home, I realized that I could feel every rib, and how her hip bones jutted out...she had no trouble gaining 4 lbs in two weeks! The person I got her from said that she thought she'd be mini aussie size..HAH!
Any guesstimates on her adult weight?
[notify]
Maggie CTL1 RE CGC

Bar Hoppin'

Barked: Wed Oct 15, '08 11:37pm PST 
Well if she is that size now at 5 months - she probably won't get much taller or gain any more weight.

Maggie at 6 months was 17 inches and 26 pounds (very underweight and unhealthy - should have been 30ish)...now at 2 1/2 years she is 18 inches and 35 pounds.
[notify]
Sugar- Magnolia

Blossoms- blooming

Barked: Thu Oct 16, '08 4:01pm PST 
i'm 15 months old and stand just over 18" at the shoulder and weigh in around 35#s. it's the smaller end of the scale for a female, but still a normal size.

people are constantly asking if i'm a Mini Aussie... which i'm slightly offended at, but realize people just don't know the difference. Mom politely tells them i'm a regular Aussie, and i still get lots of love and remarks of how pretty i am.
cloud 9
[notify]

Desoto

Bird Whisperer

Barked: Fri Oct 17, '08 7:49am PST 
Yah I dont know where all the 50 pound aussies are. All the ones we have met where about our size or smaller. Desoto is 11 months now and only 20 1/2 inches tall, a little short for a male. But has began putting on muscle mass. I would guess he will be around 40 lbs. Unlike my border who is all legs, he is rock solid little guy. He packs a punch when he 'body checks' you. (runs down the hall to greet you slams on the breaks not nearly in time and runs into you.laugh out loud)

When we got him he was tied for largest in the litter with a black tri. He had huge paws and everyone though 'oh he's gunna be HUGE!'. Yah not-so-much. He didnt grow in hieght after about 5 months. Most dont seem to get much bigger after 6 months. Most dogs fill out between 6-18 months. So with proper exercise and nutrition, dont be surprised if she bulks out a bitblue dog
[notify]
Mia

5/12/08-10/10/10-

Barked: Sat Oct 18, '08 8:12pm PST 
Thanks everyone! Weighed her today and she's slowing down growth wise- less than a lb every two weeks as opposed to a lb a week! Thought we were going to have the biggest aussie ever there for awhile!
[notify]
Abbey

Aussie Tomboy!

Barked: Thu Oct 30, '08 5:56pm PST 
No, that's me. I'm huge. When Mom saw my parents, she figured I'd be relatively small. Boy, did I fool her! I'm taller than her last Aussie, and I was 66 lbs. at my last visit to the vet.
[notify]
Mia

5/12/08-10/10/10-

Barked: Fri Oct 31, '08 7:43am PST 
Big girl! There's one on the nor-cal aussie rescue that was 120 lbs when they found him!! (needless to say he was put on a very strict diet)
[notify]
Mia

5/12/08-10/10/10-

Barked: Tue Nov 11, '08 9:15pm PST 
@ 6 months she's a little over 18 inches, and 29 lbs. She's roughly the height of a year old aussie female we know who's 50lbs.
Oh weight guessing games are fun!
[notify]
Patches

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 11:53am PST 
Hi,
I'm only 85 lbs. now. I've been on a diet, sorta. The kids about a quarter my size but she causes most of the trouble.
Patches
[notify]