GO!

Any humane ideas for my pulling so hard on walks?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sully &- Socks Our- Angel

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '08 4:08pm PST 
My Dad is really good about walking me twice a day even though he has really bad legs and it hurts him sometimes, especially when I pull so hard on my leash. Dad likes to put an extension on my leash at night so I can have more room to roam and sniff, but I still jerk and pull him around too hard. Dad doesn't want to use a choke collar on me or confine me right to his side, but does anyone have any ideas how he can control me any better? shrug
[notify]
My

Its all chewtoys- to me. And I- love FOOD!

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '08 7:13pm PST 
Hi!

Tell your dad to buy you a halter-neck thing. It looks like those things they put on horses but they only go around the dogs nose and not inside their mouth.

But!!! Some dogs needs time to get used to having the things on their nose. You should only have it on for short periods of time at home and when you see that the dog start to ignore it you can start having it on outside the house AFTER you've taken a walk for example. After a few days with training you should be able to walk your aussie without him pulling you around because you have control over the dogs head. If he tries to pull his head will be turned. Another thing that is very important is that you should avoid any kind of "battle" with the dog in a halter. And you should never pull! It can cause damage to the dogs neck.

Excuse my baaad english! I'm a sweedish aussie, but I moved to Norway at 8w old. So I suck at english silenced
[notify]
Maggie CTL1 RE CGC

Bar Hoppin'

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '08 8:44pm PST 
This is what I did with Mags...(also copied from an earlier post).

Another way to train leash walking is by putting the dog on the leash w/a standard nylon collar.

Begin to walk.
When the dog starts to pull, slow down.
If pulling continues, stop.
If pulling still continues, start to walk backwards slowly.
Dog turns around and now there is a loose leash.
Repeat as necessary...but remember to do this every time the dog pulls!

Dogs who pull see pulling as a way to get the human to move faster, or to continue moving. So if you stop going forward (or if you have to, go backwards) the dog will turn and look at you to see where they are going now. If this is followed you'll have a well behaved dog who walks on a loose leash (not a 'heel') without pulling. If you let your dug pull, you're just reinforcing the pulling behavior.

Grab a few treats as well and keep them in a pocket - a dog at the pocket does not pull on the leash...granted they may livk your pants a bit.
[notify]

Cruiser

I'm head of- household &- don't forget it

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 8:44am PST 
If your human doesn't have the time to train you to not pull then he needs to get you a Gentle Leader. Basically what the first post was talking about. I am also a very strong dog and I just can't walk slowly no matter how hard I try, so my human got me one of these. It doesn't hurt and it makes me slow down. Ya know, I'm 6 years young and they think I should be slowing down, but I fool them....I'm lightening fast. I sure wish I could have been an agility dog...I would have been so good at it!puppy
[notify]
Maxx

Can we go- now????

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 3:18pm PST 
I don't pull too hard because I'm kind of little but my mommy turns around and goes the opposite direction when I get too far ahead of her. Then I have to run to catch up and then we don't go anywhere except back and forth so I learned to walk next to her so I can see the neighborhood.
[notify]
Finn

Barked: Wed Mar 19, '08 2:00pm PST 
I think Aussies are known for their exuberance on walks. I have tried probably every collar known to man and have found that a simple choke (or the Illusion collar that Cesar Milan sells) works the best. I tried the Haltie and the Gentle Leader both and found that they do indeed keep my boy from pulling. What I didn't like about them was that for some reason he became highly upset when we saw other dogs approaching on walks while wearing either of these and would try to claw the darn thing off while flailing around. He could get the Haltie right off, he couldn't remove the Gentle Leader, but he sure did try.

With the Illusion collar, it holds the choke up right behind the ears where you are most effective with a choke. You don't need to give big corrections, and you can actually try what other people have said and turn in the opposite direction from where you're being pulled to when the dog pulls. This gives them the idea that they're not going to get where they want to go by pulling.

I have seen a huge improvement since I switched to the choke. I'm not forseeing a time when I will switch to a flat buckle collar at this point because he is very strong and can pull me if he's motivated in that type of collar.
[notify]
Rowdy

They sure got my- name right...

Barked: Sat Mar 22, '08 10:32am PST 
I tried Maggie's method yesterday ... stopping when they start to pull ... it works for us!

Edited by author Sat Mar 22, '08 10:33am PST

[notify]
Maggie CTL1 RE CGC

Bar Hoppin'

Barked: Mon Mar 24, '08 3:53pm PST 
Wahoo Rowdy! I still have to remind Maggie that yanking on the leash will not get me to move faster - but since it is easy enough to fix and only requires minimal supplies it doesn't need any super extra training gear.
[notify]
Zackery

Bark Bark and- bark some more

Barked: Tue May 20, '08 8:05am PST 
I have found the only thing that worked for Zackery (a HUGE PULLER) Was a choke collar or as 2 posts up said the illusion collar. It worked like a champcheer. All you do is whenever you think the dog is getting to far ahead of you give a light quick correction. The correction needs to match the intensity of the pull. If he is really pulling then give a harder correction. Always pull to the side. If you pull back that will make the dog want to work against you and most likely make him pull more. Also make sure the choke collar is all the way up on the neck right behind the ears. You will notice the dog is alot more aware of when you correct up there. Anyway, good luck with the pulling! blue dog
[notify]
Ricky

Where's the- food?!

Barked: Tue May 20, '08 9:41pm PST 
I have the same problem with my puppy but not as bad now since Ricky is older and being progressively obedience trained. I've tried both the Haltie and the Gentle Leader muzzle. Ricky must have destroyed close to 10 of them within the past 6 months. Even though he pulled less there were times he'd pull hard anyways. It usually resulted in pressure marks around his muzzle, which bothered me. I didn't want Ricky to end up tolerating any "pain" when pulling while wearing especially the Gentle Leader, since it's recommended to wear very snug. Well, recently I mentioned my concern to a friend, and she suggested I try the Gentle Leader harness. Hands down, it works best on Ricky so far! The concept is similar to the Gentle Leader muzzle but rather than working the head, the harness is working the body, which is ideal because the dog is pulling not only with his head but with his body. Being a curious and growing puppy, Ricky still attempts to pull, but I find I have better control than ever during walks. The additional benefit to using the Gentle Leader harness is people will see it and think nothing of it. Unlike when they see a Gentle Leader muzzle, which they erroneously think it's used to prevent biting attacks!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2