GO!

Need Nipping Advice ASAP!!!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Sarai

We miss- you- Sarai!-

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '07 7:05am PST 
I love my new puppy, Sarai! She is soooo smart and affectionate, but when she gets excited or scared, or sometimes she just bites for no reason. She makes my older, bigger dogs yelp and a few times even bleed. She doesn't do it to be aggressive, just fo play. She doesn't realize she is hurting anybody, no matter what you do to stop it. Does anyone have any helpfull advice for me???
[notify]
Sugar- Magnolia

Blossoms- blooming

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '07 12:03pm PST 
i sometimes nip in play, too. around the ears and neck with other dogs, or the cats. if i want to run and chase, i nip around the hind quarters. i haven't made anyone yelp or bleed yet, tho.

my mommy and my trainer have these noisy cans of pennies they shake at me when i do it, and they say "No biting!" it startles the heck outta me! i'm slowly learning not to - especially to people.
[notify]
Sarai

We miss- you- Sarai!-

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '07 2:35pm PST 
Thank you so much, its a big help! I plan on trying that out ASAP!
[notify]

Ginger Bear

Aussium Aussie

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '08 2:56pm PST 
Hi!

Since aussies have such a strong desire to herd, they find other ways to use their herding abilities. Such as the nipping thing. You need to redirect the dog's herding energy to something else. For example, agility is a great way to do that because it requires lots of energy and a strong desire to work. By giving your dog a job or activity such as agility, it will decrease the dog's desire to herd you. Hope this little tid-bit helps. smile

Emily & Her Aussium Aussie Ginger
[notify]