GO!

Aggression Towards other dogs

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Dakota Rose

Dakota Rose

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '07 2:52pm PST 
dakota is the best dog...the only thing that is wrong is her aggression towards other dogs.... we have another dog named jack and she cant stand him....she has to stay outside and we cant let him get near the glass.... she needs exercise becouse she is a aussie but we cant take her for walks becouse we are not sure if there are going to be any other dogs on a walk or in there back yard or worse in the front yard lose.... we have 3 other dogs named jack, gigi, and goldie... sheis fine with goldie and gigi but has a problem with every other dog around her! i need help....could anyone give me some tips on how to stop this?dog

Edited by author Sat Nov 3, '07 2:53pm PST

[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '07 6:37pm PST 
hi, I'm part aussie and have a similar problem. i bark at lunge at other dogs sometimes. we're not sure what to do to stop the behavior but we know some tips to help avoid a potenial fight on a walk. first, i would suggest you walk the aggressive dog alone or with the dog she gets along with. when you see another dog on a walk just turn around and walk in the other direction (mom asks me to look for squirrels and rabbits sometimes too to keep me distracted from other dogs). if a dog suprises you on a walk and you can't turn around, just power walk past them. or when you see a dog crouch down with your dog and ask them to sit and do whatever kind of tricks you can get them to do and keep feeding treats to keep them distracted. only works with me if the treats are very very yummy. i always weigh cost and benefit when my people want me to do something. laugh out loud

i know that wasn't the kind of help you were looking for. i would suggest contacting local trainers and tell them about your problem. maybe someone out there can help.
[notify]
Dakota Rose

Dakota Rose

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '07 8:57am PST 
Thank you alot... i now know how to aviod fights... those will come in handy today... they are taking me and goldie for walks today...
[notify]

Basia

the fetch is- strong in this- one

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '07 11:35am PST 
Hello,

I'm by no means an expert, but your question had the answer within it. Much like most Dr. Phil episodes btw. Aussie's need one-on-one attention, and to be put to work. Ceasar Milan from the dog whisper starts every OWNER he helps out with enough excersize to tire the them out. Then they simply won't have the energy to be aggressive.

Honestly, this is no easy task with a working dog such as an Aussie. Besides running three miles three says per week, A LOT of fetch indoors and out, and one day a week being out (hiking/park/swimming) for at least 2-3 hours, my Aussie is 8, and does still comes home with more energy. Only one time in 8 years has she ever curled up at me feet at the dog park. It was after 4 hours, but it was a very hot day. (I often carry more water for her than me.)

NOTE: You can't just start this regemin right off safely, but should do it gradually. Once they are tired out, then you move to calm submissive control. Get the basics like sit and lie down, until they can do it with distractions. Aussies have this incredible sense of focus, which cleary separates them from the wonderful, but more aloof Border Collies, IMO.

For our Weimaraner with high anxiety we had to use a prong collar, but be sure to get some professional training on how to use them. For some reason most of us human's just aren't patient enough for training, and the prong collar will provide immediate noticable results. As great as they are, Aussies simply aren't for most people. After all the tricks, when I set food down near Basia at the park, and she ignores what isn't hers, people are quick to think they would like to get an Aussie. I am quick to tell them how much work it requires.

I read this article below before I got my Aussie, and she fit my lifestyle perfectly. It pretty much say it all. It isn't always easy, but it is a truely rewarding experience. wink

http://www.asca.org/About Aussies/Personality and Character

Good luck!

Edited by author Sat Dec 1, '07 12:00pm PST

[notify]
Joey

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '07 1:49pm PST 
I have had Joey for about 9 months or since he was about 2 months old. We have had absolutely no trouble with him in regards to aggression at all.
I'm by no ways a expert on this topic but what we knew going into getting an Aussie was that they were a very high energy dog and therefore we knew that we could have to have him well under control. In the 9 months that we have had Joey we have been to 2 dog obedience courses and one dog agility course with him. These courses are great in that they teach you how to handle your dog. The Training is more for you than the dog, he is only as good as his trainer. I have learnt a lot about training at these courses and I must say am enoying my dog a lot more because of this.
And the thing with an aussie is don't let him get bored, he will find a job to do and usually it is not a job you would approve of. Have a good time with your dog, they are great pals.
[notify]