GO!

crossbreeding?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Chase CGC

It's Mine I Tell- Ya! Mine! Mine!- Mine!

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '07 1:41pm PST 
I was wondering what you guys thought of it? In another thread someone was saying how show breeders are "hurting" the breed because we don't want to cross mix our dogs to help there health.

I was wondering what Aussie owners/breeders thought about this?
[notify]
MIHKOA -goodbye friends-

FANTASTIC!

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '07 7:45am PST 
hmm, im definately no breeder... but i think the aussie lines are pretty strong ones. yeah there are some bad eggs, like all breeds... but idk that cross breeding would help anything.... ive seen b-aussies, border collie-aussie mixes... woah. talk about insane. i just dont think it will help to cross breed... but then again... how did we get the breed weve got now? OH MAN... Im at a loss. LOL
[notify]
Oreo

Oh ee oh wee- oh!!

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '07 11:12am PST 
There are enough health tests and such to be able to weed out most of the health issues within our breed. The breeders just have to be willing to use their resources and admit to problems they are having.

I think we can do it without introducing new problems through crossbreeding....although there are rumors of BMD crosses in show lines and BC crosses in working lines....
[notify]

MIHKOA -goodbye friends-

FANTASTIC!

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '07 4:07pm PST 
hey oreo? whats BMD?
[notify]
Oreo

Oh ee oh wee- oh!!

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '07 4:16pm PST 
Ooops sorry guys, wasnt thinking. It is short of Bernese Mountain Dog
[notify]
Maggie CTL1 RE CGC

Bar Hoppin'

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '07 7:33pm PST 
...in other words Aussies are the "purebred mutts of the dog world"!!!
[notify]
Oreo

Oh ee oh wee- oh!!

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '07 12:19pm PST 
I wouldnt go that far.....it is only a select few that are rumored to have done that...and it may not be true.

Although there are a lot of show bred dogs now that look like BMD's with all that bone and coat....they could not work for more than a few minutes (if at all)
[notify]
Spirit Eyes

are you gonna- eat that?

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '07 7:54am PST 
yeah definately. all that mass. man oh man. not a good working dog... too heavy. shoot, ive seen some massive aussies though. it amazes me at the spectrum of aussie size. see i think there is enough variety in aussies as it is... there are show lines, & working lines... and i think that really gives everyone a good option for a dog... from the huge aussies ive seen at like 78lbs, to the small 27lbers... each can do an awesome job... and strut there stuff. i dont see why cross breeding would help the breed... i know that some do cross the aussie and border collie... but man that would be a farm dog forever, CAN YOU IMAGINE the drive that dog would have, and the intensity... Oh man. I couldnt do it!!
[notify]