GO!

Mini Aussies...?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Chase CGC

It's Mine I Tell- Ya! Mine! Mine!- Mine!

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '07 1:25pm PST 
I was just wondering, what makes a Mini Aussie?

While searching this site... I saw some that looked just like normal Aussie, then I saw some with a smaller nose and looked mixed.

How are the bred? Are the a whole new breed on there own? Or are they just small Aussie that people named "Mini Aussies"?

I am not trying to offend anyone, just wondering smile
[notify]
Oreo

Oh ee oh wee- oh!!

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '07 2:00pm PST 
Some "minis" are just aussies that have been bred down. SO by definition they are still just purebred aussies and not "mini aussies"

Then there is a vast majority that are BYB bred adn such and most of them contain sheltie or toy breeds which is why there are a LOT of domed heads/round eyes and fine boned "mini's" so by definition these guys are just designer breeds AKA mixes.

SOOO either they are AUSSIES or MIXES. There is no standard/toy/mini....according to every single dog registry out there, there is no variety of the australian shepherd.

the newest ones called "toys" are most definately mixes....and frankly pretty ugly
[notify]
MIHKOA -goodbye friends-

FANTASTIC!

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '07 4:39pm PST 
lol, i will agree... toys... i just dont get it. Mini aussies are supposed to be just that, a smaller size of the original. My aussies are of the smaller variety... but pure aussie... just smaller... same build, same drive... everything. just petite. Mihkoa only weights 27lbs, and Spirit is 37lbs... MIhkoa 17" and Spirit 18 1/2"
[notify]

Chase CGC

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '07 3:15pm PST 
Thanks you guys! I understand now.

I have seen some ad's for "toy aussies" one said "Purebred Toy Aussie, will get no bigger then 13lb" I thought, what the heck?

Mihkoa, i'm going to be bigger then you soon!! laugh out loud
[notify]
Oreo

Oh ee oh wee- oh!!

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '07 5:23pm PST 
If you are purebred aussie then you are just that....an aussie, not a mini;-)

If you go to working farms a lot of times the dogs are your size because ranchers dont want big dogs, they want compact that can get in and out of fencing on their own. But they dont call them "mini" they too are just aussie.

IMO calling them mini was just to get people to buy them that liked aussies but thought that a smaller size would be less work. Similar to the designer deal but not nearly as bad. Aussies come in drastically different sizes even though the standard says the prefered size is between 18-23 there are lots of just plain aussies that go well out on both sides of the spectrum.

I do know that there is a group of peopl working to get a strand of dog with similar origin to the aussie but smaller in size recognised at the Royal Basque Sheepdog. This IMO is great because they do not claim them as a variation of the aussie (which there is none) they say they are a completely seperate breed...
http://proteus.meccahosting.com/~a000412f/history.htm
[notify]
MIHKOA -goodbye friends-

FANTASTIC!

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '07 9:11am PST 
yeah... i see it. i think that there isnt anything wrong with saying mini aussie... because there are small aussies out there... but there should be a height definition for sure... like schnauzers or something... or how beagles come in different sizes, ect... i dont think its bad... if they are small or big... because Lord knows we have a GIGANTIC aussie here with us right now... 78lbs!!! LOL.... but is there really a problem with classifying a dog by is size? I just see so many other breeds that have that... is it wrong to do the same with aussies? Just wondering.... so many questions.
[notify]
Oreo

Oh ee oh wee- oh!!

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '07 4:29pm PST 
Im glad we can discuss instead of argue.

To me at least it is a problem because haveing a "cute mini version" has caused a sharp increase in BYB and puppy millers. Most aussies in puppy mills are now refered to as "mini's". Why? Because people buy things with cute names and if they always wanted and aussie but not the energy they assume that "minis" would be a good fit for them. A few less inches does NOTHING to curb an aussies energy.

Yes other breeds have split but I do not think that that is the right thing for our breed. They are first and formost working dogs. Dogs that are too big have a hard time working and on the opposite side dogs that are too small can also have a harder time covering the ground needed and turning steers. Shelties were bred so small because they did not have to cover that much ground. Corgis are drovers so they have a totally different job. In order to be the most efficient at its job aussies should fall withint the hight standard BUT we need dogs on both ends (under and over) to maintain the ideal hight overall. SO breeding for diminuitive dogs does nothing to "better the breed" except improve its marketability which should never be the goal of a true breeder in the first place.

Even breeds such a chi's are fighting this sort of stuff because BYB's are breeding tea cups which are also not really supposed to be (let alone the health problems they usually develop.)

All of the dog registries have said that they will no longer accept variations of ANY breed so if the want recognision it has to be as a completely seperate breed. There are so many breeds with different personalities, sizes and needs. Do we really have to create more? To me it is no different than designer breeds...created specifically for the "market". ASCA, AKC, CKC, UKC, and all other main registries have issued statements regarding minis and all of them say they will not recognise size variations.

Dogs fall out of the standard in so many ways. Size is only one of the ways. There are non-recognisable colors, coats,nose patterns, bites, ect....do we need to create variations for all those dogs too? IMO No because they are all just aussies even if they cant show. Dogs that are under 18 and over 23 finish their Ch's all the time in ASCA at least (AKC likes big dogs all over-yuck) so technically they can still show. However if they are found to be registered with MASCA registration with the others will be revoked adn all titles removed because technically you are admitting your dog is not an australian shepherd. If it is an aussie it is just an aussie. If it is not, it is a mix and cant be registered.

Sorry if that got confusing LOL. Do not take any of this personally. You are a beautiful aussie...be proud that you are small and mighty. Just be proud that you are an aussie pure and simple;-)
[notify]
Chase CGC

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '07 4:43pm PST 
Oreo, you are so smart. I wish you lived closer, I sure could use you as a mentor laugh out loud
[notify]
Oreo

Oh ee oh wee- oh!!

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '07 6:03pm PST 
BOL thanks;-)
[notify]
MIHKOA -goodbye friends-

FANTASTIC!

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '07 7:42pm PST 
OH WOW!! Interesting view there!! I never thought of it that way. I have to say I do like the smaller sized aussies myself... people always tell me Mihkoa is a mini because she is sooo small... sometimes it just seems easier to tell them she IS a mini... which i have just defaulted to calling her anyway. we volunteer for Mini Aussie Rescue, which obviously gets the smaller aussies in... I have to say, personally i like Mihkoa's size aussie... the 17" dog... she's just right... not to big and not to small... still fits in the apartment 25lb weight limit, and i can pick her up if i need to. she works hard, and definately is ALL AUSSIE, looool. i can see now why aussie is just aussie. i think toy's are COMPLETELY ridiculous... its a chi/pom with no tail... I SWEAR!! there is no way that its a real aussie. but anyway... thanks for the info. Im glad we can talk about it too, instead of argue. I think its all very interesting, and I always took the definsive in regular posts because i always felt like i was being attacked. THANK YOU FOR TALKING WITH ME!! And not putting me down. YO U ROCK. If i had a rossette or a star id give it to you! THANKS!! Im gonna go change mihkoa's breed to aussie. smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3