GO!

Aggressive or Assertive?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Binga

Queen Beeyach

Barked: Wed Jul 9, '08 9:30am PST 
I saw an article recently that listed Cattle dogs as 5th most aggressive. What is your experience? Mine... I find that Binga is assertive in her opinion. I am new to this though and not certain if I am just not admitting that she is aggressive.

Her specific behaviors are:
issues with men that result in nipping
nipping young children (if they are running past her)
barking and growling at puppies that come up to her
resource protection, but if you are willing to play ball she lets up on this

She's known as the Q-Beeyach at the dog park.
[notify]
Argus

Scout's little- brother

Barked: Fri Jul 11, '08 5:08pm PST 
I have no experience with this breed but my son has a new ACD puppy. He seems to be agressive when it comes to eating ... he eats fast and then will proceed to eat my sheltie's food and the cat's food ... I am trying to get my son to interrupt during his eating ... the last thing we need is to have a dog possessive of his food
[notify]
Oswald

hey, you gonna- eat that?

Barked: Sat Jul 19, '08 8:22am PST 
Aggression implies an intent to harm and it doesn't sound like that is what Binga is doing. It sounds like she just wants to control her environment....and who doesn't. We've been able to train Oswald to stop nipping people (we hope). He never nipped kids, but would nip strange men on occasion. If more people would just wear boots, then it would be a non issue darn-it.

Peace.
[notify]

Binga

Queen Beeyach

Barked: Mon Jul 21, '08 10:48am PST 
Thanks. That's how I've read it too. She is into control.big grin How have you been working the nipping issues? We are struggling with the fact that she is a good girl 90% of the time. 5% she randomly nips (men) and 5% she's just predictable (kids running (although she listens to "NO") and people who just insist on petting... even though I've warned them.
[notify]
Kaylee

I am the QUEEN

Barked: Tue Jul 22, '08 11:12am PST 
my ACD is known as the neighborhood you know what too. she is probably perceived as arrogent or snobby, but i just think she is more content with her humans. she is all bark (literally) but no bite. i wouldn't change her for the world...
[notify]
Tajah

Wanna play ball?

Barked: Wed Jul 23, '08 9:25pm PST 
I'm alot like you Kaylee..Momma calls me the crabby neighbor to everypup! We have lots of pups in our neighborhood but I've never gone after them..just barked my "mean" bark!

I can be agressive to my sister and any other pup that gets in my "space" I mean...at the dog park the other day, there was this dog that was going after Miyah and was growling..so I stepped in and growled back and he backed off. I didn't have to do anything but bark and growl back and it was done!

What can I say...I'm the "Crabby Abby" of this neighborhood!
[notify]
Binga

Queen Beeyach

Barked: Thu Jul 24, '08 7:56am PST 
This is the best part of the forum to me... realizing that we aren't alone with our "Crabby Abby's". cheer

Ms Binga is a little more intense about her space. Not knowing what came before me... she may have learned this somewhere else. I trust her not to actually hurt anyone... but she is mouthy with the intrusions in her space and we are working hard on this. puppy
[notify]
Kona

Caution:- Cattledog in- Orange County

Barked: Thu Jul 24, '08 10:59pm PST 
Kona does tend to be a bit "weird". She is very close to me and my family, but is kind of weary with strangers. I woudn't trust her around kids, either. however, this past 4th of July I tried something new and brought her to a parade. She sat in the front row with lots of strangers, kids, and other dogs. I have to say she suprised me. She did a lot better than I though she would. Kids were feeding her treats and men (gasp! her greatest enemy!) were petting her. But usually when I take her for a walk and kids ask to pet her, I will usually say she's kind of cranky and now's not a good time. She can just be unpredictable at times. Not to say she's ever bitten someone because she HASN'T, but sometimes she gives a look to people like "don't get too close to me". I guess it's all part of owning a cattledog. confused
[notify]
Jirra

Super-Freak

Barked: Fri Jul 25, '08 4:30pm PST 
Jirra does have an aggression problem towards other dogs, we're trying to work on that currently.

She was perfectly fine before a pretty bad dog fight when she was a little younger, she was torn up awful bad and ever since then Jirra isn't very kind to any dogs besides Kylie who she's grown up with.
[notify]
Argus

Scout's little- brother

Barked: Fri Jul 25, '08 6:20pm PST 
Our 3 mos old cattle dog seems to have the same issues. Mean Barking at other dogs, and when men come to the house, he has no problems with my sister. We are starting to give other people treats to get him to come to them. He needs to more socialized and we are working on that. Our breeder's dogs are well socialized and they have no problems. He has typical puppy issues right now. Mouthing and nipping and my breeder says to keep working with him and he will grow out of it.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3