GO!

Hot Spots and Itchy Skin

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Daisy

Barked: Tue Sep 4, '07 10:49am PST 
My cocker spaniel mix, Daisy started having skin issues this summer. She developed one hot spot. She was treated by the vet and it has since cleared up but now she seems to be itching and scratching all over. She has not developed any more actual hot spots. Probably because we have been treating each area and she has been wearing an e-collar to keep her from getting to a lot of the itchy areas. She has been to the vet twice already and the problem continues. She had her hair cut short and I have been bathing and brushing her more than usual to try to help with the problems. She is on Wellness dog food and has been since she was a small puppy. I have ordered a maximum relief allergy kit from Drs Foster and Smith. It consists of Omega-3 gel caps and allergy tabs. Here is the direct link to the product:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pca tid=15232
The product has not arrived yet. I am hoping that it will work. Has anyone else ever used this product? Does anyone have any advice?? Thanks
[notify]
Smudge SGDC- RNMCL

Agility dog in- training

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '07 5:02pm PST 
What are you feeding her for kibble? Could be a food allergy.
[notify]
Daisy

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '07 5:45am PST 
Hi Stanton! Thanks for the post. You are a very pretty dog! Anyway I feed her Wellness dog food, the fish and sweet potato formula. She has been eating it for over a year. I guess she could have suddenly developed an allergy to it. I should try another food and see if it helps. I saw on the Wellness website that they have a food for allergic dogs but I have never seen it in stores.
[notify]

Smudge SGDC- RNMCL

Agility dog in- training

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '07 7:12am PST 
It could be the barley, flax sometimes makes dogs itchy. Maybe you could find a non wellness product that doesn't contain either, and see if it helps. Just know that it can take months to get rid of a food issue out of a dogs system even once you've stopped giving it.. So it may not be instant improvement.

Thank you. My sister doesn't think I'm pretty. She liked being an only child.
[notify]