GO!

Advice on getting an Akita

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Mon May 26, '14 1:21pm PST 
Hi there, my boyfriend & I have been thinking about getting an akita for some time now and are looking for advice. Firstly I myself have never owned a dog, my boyfriend has previously before me. (German Shepherd) We have been researching Akitas for over a year now and we know that akitas will require a lot of time and effort more than your average dog, and were willing to put that effort in. However we dont live together yet so Im just worried our dog will get more attached to my boyfriend and not be as comfortable around me when we do eventually move in together? Is this trainable? And can we train our Akita to be playful and family friendly if around a lot of kids when its a puppy? Would prefer advice from someone with an akita that has had similar experiences.
[notify]