GO!

Is an Akita dog aggressive?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Tue Jan 7, '14 2:15pm PST 
Hi,
I wanted to know if Akita are dog aggressive. I have been doing a lot of reading and it seems the consensus is that they can be. That being said, it depends on the individual dog and training/socialization by owner. But I have an Eng Bulldog, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and a backyard cat (all males!). I am considering adding an Akita to my family, I just went to meet the puppy I had been deciding on. It is a male American Akita.

For now, my main question is for those who have Akita and or have loads of experience with this breed, is this a good idea? Even if I do socialize etc, will this dog be able to cohabitate with my other pets. Eng Bulldogs can be quite insistent and will want to to play and pest the puppy most of the time, lol. Also, the cavie is clingy and can be a yapper. What are your opinions on this?

Thank you for your honest answers. (And yes
I am doing lots of research on the breed before I commit to this breed but this is my major question currently).
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 8, '14 12:15pm PST 
Also I want to add that it'll be with the cavie most of the time. I've noticed that the cavie likes to steal other pets toys and bones and guards his food (mainly bc the eng bulldog kept eating his food). The bulldog tends to do this too. Would the Akita when it's older eat my other dogs? I love the Akita personality, but I'm worried about the safety of my dog and the eng bulldog (my mothers dog) being hurt by this dog in the future when it's older.

Edited by author Wed Jan 8, '14 12:16pm PST

[notify]
Leah

Barked: Thu Jan 9, '14 2:07pm PST 
They can be as can be many dogs. In general I would call them stubborn, strong willed, protective of their domain, rough and tough. I have had 3 Akita's, my current one is much different from the other two. I got Leah at 12-15 wks old and she obviously had a rough start! I have an older pit/lab we have to keep gated from Leah. She plays far too rough for a dog that is far smaller, and has no hair for protection from her teeth. My other two were good with dogs most of the time. Personally I don't think I would do it. Good luck if you do.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Jan 10, '14 6:30am PST 
In all honesty with 17 years of Akita experience, this doesn't sound like the best of ideas, especially with all of your other animals also being male. Same -sex aggression is much more common in Akita's than other types of aggression and other breeds of dogs. I wish you all the best if you choose to try it but in all honesty I wouldn't risk it.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 10, '14 10:03am PST 
Thank you for your response! Yes, I was very hesitant about the arrangement. With all I've read about Akita and dog aggression I was afraid that later on I would have major problems. As much as I want am Akita, I have to think about my current animals and also the Akita. Wod t be fair putting the animal in that situation and then having to rehome the dog when its older. Maybe later on I would consider a female
Akita but even that is something I'd have to seriously think about.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Jan 12, '14 6:50am PST 
Thank-you for taking the time to seriously consider the welfare of both your current pets and the Akita you would like to have. Although there is a very slim possibility it would work out, it's good to know that there are still good people out there willing to put aside their desires for the welfare of the furry family members who depend on them. although an Akita may not be right for you at this point at some future time it may be. Then I wish you all the best and until then as well.
[notify]