GO!

feeding probs - choosy eater

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Wed Jan 1, '14 4:17pm PST 
hi there
My boyfriend was given a 3 year old male akita (Bolt) 7 months ago, hes a beautiful, wonderful, loving boy whom we adore! he responds well to commands and has accepted that my boyfriend is his pack leader. and even though I live separately from my boyfriend he accepts my commands without an issue either.
The thing is for a while now he had become very picky with his food as he seems to want what we are eating, and I know that I've probably made it worse as I keep giving in to him! I m a real softy which i think Bolt has recognised as he gives me such pleading looks!
I know for his own sake that I have to be firmer with myself and not give in.
Ive read on the internet that the best way to get him eating again is to feed him 2x daily and put his food down for 20 minutes at a time and if he hasnt eaten it to take it away until the next feed time and to stick with this, because even though it may take a few days when he eats nothing eventually he,ll be so hungry he will eat it. Obviously Im worried as he has the Akita trait of stubborness! Please can someone with more experience of Akitas give us some advice?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Jan 10, '14 6:46am PST 
You actually have 2 options here. You do need to learn not to give in he will take advantage of that all he can.
Option one: Give him only his food twice a day with a set limit on how long he has to eat it and stick to that until he eats his own food again.(Which in either case is the first thing you need to do.)

Option Two: After your evening meal only if he lays or sits quietly without begging or staring, give him a small dish and use only that dish so he recognizes it as his and allow him to have a few bites of what you had or something else healthy as a treat. We raised all three of our Akita's in this way from day one and I can leave a complete steak dinner on my coffee table well within their reach untouched. They do not beg or bother anyone while we are eating because they know that if they behave properly they will get their share.

Good Luck and be tough. Yes, Akita's are stubborn but no dog will starve when presented with food. He may try to "wait you out" for a few days to see if you will give in but if you don't and stay firm with him he will eat his own food.
[notify]