GO!

Toshi only obeys to my boyfriend

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Toshi

Barked: Sat Dec 28, '13 4:32am PST 
So, we got Toshi about a month ago. He's now two months and a half and he started going on walks and we started teaching him some tricks.
I had never had a dog before so I did a lot of research on the breed before hand and tried to learn as much as I could before we could take Toshi home. My boyfriend has experience with dogs and he has been very helpful when it comes to explaining how dogs act and react.
He's still very little and he's in his dominance stage so he's trying constantly to test us to see who is in charge.
My boyfriend spends a lot less time with Toshi than I do but he seems to have it much easier when it comes to controlling Toshi. When he's around Toshi will obey to everything and be perfect but when it's just me he seems to turn into this evil hyper creature and all he does is run around and ignore me when i call him. Each time I call him he runs the opposite direction forcing me to grab him and pull him to the place where I had initially called him to. If I take him on a walk he will constantly pull on the lead even with all my attempts to keep him beside me.
Just to clarify, this is a new issue. Until about three days ago he would listen to me most of the times.
Is it possible that he has identified me as being below my boyfriend in the hierarchy chain? What can I do to change this?
[notify]

Barked: Sat Dec 28, '13 9:55pm PST 
Your question is more about puppies in general, not so much breed specific:
Puppies go through different stages in their growing process. At this age they change every day. It should come at no surprise that he will change his attitude few more times. That said, following the time you spend with him, he probably feels closer to you and doesn't consider you an authority figure. Your boyfriend may be more assertive and the pup feels it. Its not about what you say, but the energy you radiate. You need to prove yourself a leader, for the future when this pup will become extremely strong and powerful and you will not be able to control it physically. Showing a quiet and self confident attitude is the key to becoming a leader for this dog.

Edited by author Sat Dec 28, '13 9:58pm PST

[notify]