GO!

If you owned this Akita, what would you do?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Sun Dec 22, '13 1:33pm PST 
Long story short...my Bear is now 2 years and 4 months old.

I've had an incident with my dog previously as seen here; http://www.dogster.com/forums/Akita/thread/752276

We were in my parents house and there was chicken on the table, i saw his over excitement in his eyes and knew he was one to watch so I had him close to me all the time. He felt he was guarding me potentially but my dad (who he knows well) came over to pet him and my dog went for him snarling, I pulled him back by the collar and he turned and bit me on the arm. Through my jumper, he didn't break skin, he just scratched my skin. It was basically redirected aggression.

My dad (who is 83) is obviously incredibly pissed @ the dog and has said to me that "If you weren't there, your dog would have savaged me" and my dog would have, I can't deny it.

Anyway I'm not defending my dog, I want you to tell me what to do as I can't think straight right now.

What do I do in this situation? Do I give him away? Do I bring him to the vet to put him down? I'm at a loss here. Nobody will want to re-home him because of his food aggression.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 5:49pm PST 
1) At this age (adult) a dog of this size and strength, its a serious matter! I would consult a dog behaviorist ASAP!
2) Nobody can advise anything serious on the internet, without assessing the dog, in person. However, from what you describe, it wasn't a full blown attack (fortunately), but an instinctive nip. As the dog's owner, its your responsibility not to fail him. By that I mean: why bring the dog to a dinner table full of attractions, when he cannot control himself? Keep him away from any potentially dangerous situations. Use a crate, kennel of feed the dog in a separate place when people eat.
3) Now I read that your dog exhibited food aggression before! Why didn't you take necessary precaution? Its irresponsible on your part!
4) Is he still intact?

Edited by author Fri Dec 27, '13 5:54pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Tue Dec 31, '13 3:04pm PST 
1) At this age (adult) a dog of this size and strength, its a serious matter! I would consult a dog behaviorist ASAP!

Been before, been told he's a normal male Akita and I just need to manage it.

2) Nobody can advise anything serious on the internet, without assessing the dog, in person. However, from what you describe, it wasn't a full blown attack (fortunately), but an instinctive nip. As the dog's owner, its your responsibility not to fail him. By that I mean: why bring the dog to a dinner table full of attractions, when he cannot control himself? Keep him away from any potentially dangerous situations. Use a crate, kennel of feed the dog in a separate place when people eat.

I've calmed down a lot since I wrote that. Yes, it's my responsibility. I 100% accept that. I've decided he's not going anywhere. I just need to manage his food aggression and territorial aggression. He's absolutely fine with myself and my girlfriend. He's very well trained and very obedient, I can go to the vet with him and he's absolutely fine there too. (He does have a basket muzzle on there but better safe than sorry)

3) Now I read that your dog exhibited food aggression before! Why didn't you take necessary precaution? Its irresponsible on your part!

I did take necessary precaution as I prevented an attack. I thought he was fine with the pack hierarchy but he clearly has an issue with my dad which is fine; the solution now is not to bring him over there anymore. I assumed he would have been ok in that situation like before but obviously it was the wrong thing to do.

4) Is he still intact?

Yes, he is. I was going to show him which is why I initially kept him intact, I did a lot of research also and wasn't convinced that neutering would help with the territorial aggression and the food aggression (with strangers)

Edited by author Tue Dec 31, '13 3:05pm PST

[notify]

Leah

Barked: Tue Jan 7, '14 1:20pm PST 
Owning an Akita that has aggression is a serious job on your part. My Akita is aggressive when ppl. come to our house. there for I put her on a short hand leash when ppl come.If she does not warm up and growls she gets muzzled.I struggled about keeping her. After much thought we kept her; but we have to accomidate her needs!To the extent of never having kids here. When she is walked with a kong harness, chest harness and two leashes; she will do flips to get to squirel or bird. She has to be very well controlled! Good Luck
[notify]

Barked: Sat Feb 22, '14 4:09pm PST 
We make our Akita go outside during mealtime because of this reason. Soon as meals are over with he is welcomed back inside.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Mar 7, '14 10:58am PST 
As a leader in your pack I would advise taking ownership of the food, for example I will make my akita sit and wait for her food until she gives me her complete attention then I will give her space and let her eat. I also do this with toys and other treats. It helps them calm down before hand so they do not intensify the urge to dominate their meal.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Mar 8, '14 7:47am PST 
I HAVE TWO AKITA'S! ONE MALE 135LBS NOT NUDDERED, ONE FEMALE 105LBS SPAYED. NOW I HAVE A WIFE AND TWO DAUGHTERS ONE 9 AND ONE 17. WE ALWAYS HAVE PEOPLE OVER TO THE HOUSE AND THIS IS WHAT I DID WITH MY DOGS AS PUPPIES. THE DAY I GOT THEM I FED THEM IN THERE DESIGNATED SPOT TO EAT AND WHILE THEY ATE I WAS WITH THEM. I WOULD PUT MY HANDS IN THERE FOOD AS THEY ATE TO SHOW THEM TAT I CAN BE THERE AND THEY WILL STILL HAVE THERE FOOD. I WOULD ALSO TAKE IT FROM THEM FOR A VERY SHORT TIME THEN GIVE IT BACK. THIS ALSO SHOWED THEM TAHT I'M THE BOSS NOT THEM BUT ALSO THAT THEY WILL ALWAYS BE FED. I ALSO HAD MY WIFE AND CHILDREN INVOLVED WITH THIS WHEN MY DOGS WERE VERY YOUNG. I HAVE NEVER HAD AN ISSUE WITH THEIR OWN DOG FOOD. WHEN IT COMES TO WHAT I CALL PEOPLE FOOD, MY DOGS WERE TRAINED VERY YOUNG THAT THE DINNER TABLE IS IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM THEIR DINNER TABLE. WHEN WE SIT DOWN THOSE DOGS KNOW THAT THEY GO TO ANOTHER AREA OF THE HOUSE WHILE WE EAT. THEY WILL TEST THIS AT TIMES BUT I CORRECT THEM AND THEN THEY UNDERSTAND ALL OVER AGAIN. YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY CRATEING HIM AT MEAL TIMES AND SLOWLY WORK HIM OUT OF THE KENNLE INTO PUTTING UP ABABY GATE, INTO TAKING THAT BABY GATE DOWN AND COMMANDING HIM OUT OF THE ROOM WHILE YOU EAT. THESE ARE VERY SMART DOGS SO YOU NEED TO BE STRONGER AND SMARTER THAN THEM. I HOPE THIS HELPS.
[notify]