GO!

Socialization and puppy class

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 11:46am PST 
I would love some feed back from people that are for and against puppy class prior to 16 weeks? My breeder said its not worth the risk, but the importance of making sure my dog is well socialized is high on my priority. Up until 16 weeks do you just tell people who bring their dog near yours that he is too young to be around dogs you don't know? For the Parvo Virus. Also what should I ask my friends with dogs to make sure thier dog is safe to be around? I have never waited with my past dogs, but my breeder is admitment that I should wait. Any help would be welcome.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 9:25am PST 
socialization is very important but a healthy puppy is far more important. Parvo is a horrible illness and I personally would not put my puppy at risk. You only need to make sure that your friends dogs have had a parvo vaccine within the last 3 years. Socialization can be done with play dates at your home or the homes of your friends,you can also socialize your puppy by allowing the mailman or other service people to pet it,even neighbors just walking by your house are a great way to allow your puppy to meet people without exposing them to risk. Good Luck.
[notify]
Koga

Barked: Thu Sep 19, '13 10:57am PST 
As far as socializing akitas with humans there is a very simple thing you can do: take your dog with you in the car. EVERYBODY will stop and ask you what kind of adorable dog that is, or if your pup is as cute as Koga they will.

I have the added benefit of taking Koga to work with me, so he spends all day in an office where people come in and out. I'm convinced he believes our customers are just coming to see him.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Sep 21, '13 6:12am PST 
Koga,excellent idea,we had done that as well as long as we were able to be in the car with them, one of us would sit in the car while the other went in the store or post office or where ever we were able. Please never leave your dog locked in the car alone,especially on warm days but really if you must be gone more than a few minutes they are better off being at home.
[notify]